Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering if anyone is a fan or has given the Over The Counter September hunt a chance for deer? Typically I hunt Coues deer in November and if I'm not successful then I take the bow out in December OTC for Mule deer, but this year I'll be very busy October through February so I figured I might as well give the September hunt a chance. I understand it's still very hot and the deer aren't anywhere close to the rut but I've heard that due to the fact that they are still in velvet they tend to stay out of the thick stuff because of how sensitive their antlers are, if this is true then I assume I'll still have a decent chance of glassing them up and hopefully banging a buck. If anyone has any good or bad things to say at all on September hunts please let me know, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
With it being so hot that time of year, the best shots are first and last hour of light and watering spots off the beaten path. Good Luck.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Depending of course on the unit you are hunting.. there will most likely be less hunting pressure, but warmer than November temperatures of course. Deer have an uncanny sense about the seasons and a September hunt can offer you a real advantage. It is partially true that they will avoid thicker cover because of the sensitivity of their velvet covered antlers. I have seen them in velvet in the thickest of cover. The bottom line is that if you can hunt in September it is better than not hunting at all.

Best of Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts