Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived in Riggins Idaho about 7pm Saturday and did some non-stop casting yarn and ended up landing one at 9:40pm, 20 min. before fishing hours close for the day, 27.5 inches, a tad shy of average. Limit is one adult 24 inches and over and 3 jacks (juveniles under 24 inches) a day, must stop fishing once an adult is killed. Spent the night in my truck and was up and at em at 5:30am. Cast yarn all day until my entire body hurt, then BAM, landed a jack at 5:50 pm and then a above average 32 inch adult at 6:00 pm. Celebrated with a couple buddies, who tagged out earlier, and a beer. Clean fish, put on ice, and make the 3+ hour drive home to fillet and vacuum seal. Made the jack into 4 nice sized salmon burgers tonight, excellent! Pretty slow fishing (as it has been the past several years) but was happy to tag out 2 days in a row and a bonus jack to boot. 18 pounds of fresh salmon fillets in the freezer is a nice sight!

·
Super Moderator
13,971 Posts
Nice Dave, Congrats For Sure. When we came home from our trip you showed Me the rock you stand on to catch these fish, Was That it ?

Spending the night in the back of a MEGA Quad cab Dodge is not a bad thing, I think a Queen blowup pad would fit with ease, Its massive behind the seats.

Just for a little info to others that dont know, Daves rock in the Fall is about 15 ft above the river, not really impressive, in spring with snow melt, it a gorge he fishes in, the water is flowing by you at about 100 MPH, mostly whitewater at your feet, Brave men stand on those rocks to catch these fish, Imagine whitewater, Flowing into a foam, at your feet with a 30 in salmon pulling you towards the water, Thats a Big O M G !!! Only for the Brave or ???? Its definitely a Fireball moment Salmon Burgers sound Good, Next trip !!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good morning to all-
Brother, those are some impressive fish. I expect there was quite a bit of pullback in both directions with those fish. thanks for posting this trip- most enjoyable.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
Congrats painter! Some serious fish right there!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice Dave, Congrats For Sure. When we came home from our trip you showed Me the rock you stand on to catch these fish, Was That it ?

Spending the night in the back of a MEGA Quad cab Dodge is not a bad thing, I think a Queen blowup pad would fit with ease, Its massive behind the seats.

Just for a little info to others that dont know, Daves rock in the Fall is about 15 ft above the river, not really impressive, in spring with snow melt, it a gorge he fishes in, the water is flowing by you at about 100 MPH, mostly whitewater at your feet, Brave men stand on those rocks to catch these fish, Imagine whitewater, Flowing into a foam, at your feet with a 30 in salmon pulling you towards the water, Thats a Big O M G !!! Only for the Brave or ???? Its definitely a Fireball moment Salmon Burgers sound Good, Next trip !!!
Yes those rocks is where I was at, they call it the “Slick Rock Hole” and it lives up to its name, slipping and sliding while fighting a 15 lbs fish in whitewater for 10 min. will make you feel alive, all with barbless hooks! Got to get them turned around and out of the fast current ASAP, hooked one last weekend that bolted down river into the current and snapped my 30 lb. line quicker than a big northern pike on 2 lb. crappie line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts