Identity Theft and Phishing Websites

Discussion in 'Community Campfire' started by AZ~ThunderDan, Feb 4, 2007.

1. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Well, it finally happened to me. I checked my email this morning and saw an email from Bank of America in my Inbox. The subject line said: Bank of America reminder: please update your data! .

I've read about identity thieves who make up websites that mimic an authentic website. I clicked the link provided in the email and a screen came up asking me to divuldge all my personal data -- Account number, password, ATM Pin #, Site key questions and answers, and, my social security number! WHOAA... :shock:

Luckily for me, I run a Phising filter on my PC, which allows me to check and see if a specific website is reported as a potential Phishing website. It had not been reported as one, but I thought better of it all and I didn't update "my data". After all, I had been warned from various banking institutions that they "would never ask for personal data in an unsolicited email", and if they did, to be sure to check if the web address was an //https (secure) web address. In this particular case, it wasn't.

I reported the website as a "potential" Phishing website to Microsoft. I have since gone back and re-clicked the link to review the information/data they requested, and now, the link is dead. I can only assume that Microsoft has put the kibosh to that link/address?

Folks, protect yourself. If an email looks suspicious and asks for personal data, especially from a banking institution, don't fall for it. Call the Bank or institution and ask if they sent the email. It's a criminal world out there!

2. Thanks for the info. Sad state of the world I tell ya!

3. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Here's the cut/pasted email reply I received from Bank of America when I reported the incident.

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 06:39:48 -0800 (PST)
    From: "Bank of America Customer Service" <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: Suspicious e-mail (KMM54248969I7486L0KM)
    To: [email protected]

Dear Dan Clark,

Thank you for your inquiry dated 2/5/07 regarding Suspicious e-mail. We will be happy to assist you.

The e-mail you received that appeared to be from Bank of America was not legitimate. It was part of a fraudulent scheme to illegally acquire your personal financial information.

If you did not submit information to the fraudulent site, you do not need to take any action.

If you did submit information to the site, it is possible you are a victim of identity theft. If you are a Bank of America customer, please call us immediately at the telephone number listed on your account statement.

Bank of America systems were not compromised in this scam. Identity theft is a risk today. For more information about protecting yourself, please visit the Federal Trade Commission Web site at www.ftc.gov .

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We value you as a customer and appreciate your business. If we may be of further assistance, please contact us again by e-mail. Thank you for choosing Bank of America.

Sincerely,

Shirley Davidson
    Bank of America