Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some odds and ends from Vortex.

If you successfully bag a deer in January 07, post the pic and/or story here. First week in February I'll post a poll. Best success story or pic gets a couple of Vortex T-shirts and a pair of mini-binos. Good luck!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Since Az Thunder will be out and about, I'm betting he'll at least have an interesting story and possibly a deer. Ditto for AZSlim. They're both hunting in primo deer country.

I'll see if I can't relieve you of some of that stuff, Marshall. :)

G

·
Coues84 has been out also, got him into an area that holds at least a 115 coues maybe even better. He should be out here again today tryiing for him.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot all about this.....

If you want to be eligible for the contest, post a pic and/or story in this thread ASAP. In a couple of weeks, I'll put a poll up for a vote.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The only thing I could post from this year is a pic of my pig. Don't think I could even begin to stretch the story enough to pretend it was a small, ugly deer with no horns and big teeth.

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
I suggest placing the Vortex goodies back in the pot and start a new contest for 2007.

Fat chance "this" newbie will win an archery deer contest, but hey, I could get lucky, right? :roll:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I filled a tag in January one year, and then went absoutley crazy every other season watching everyone else hunt, and me not being able to.. I have been trying not to repeat that. Only arrows flung in Jan at deer will be flung at Booners. LOL Come the Aug-Sept hunt I'm not quite as picky. By Dec, anythign legal is on the table, and fair game. LOL

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
Ditto that Coues84. If I'm going to let one fly in Jan, it would have to be at a truly monstrous buck.

I think for most archery deer hunters, January is probably the worst month for ground shrinkage.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suggest placing the Vortex goodies back in the pot and start a new contest for 2007.
If that's OK with everyone, I think that is what I will do..... speak now, or forever hold yer peace

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
anyone ever win? is there a 08/09 contest?

·
Registered
7 Posts
1st Archery Deer

Here is my story.

I was up hunting in Unit 23 last weekend. On Friday around high noon I found some fresh tracks. I told my buddy that I would like to come back for an evening stand. Around 4:00 I found a good spot to sit and began by knocking my good luck arrow. (3rd in quiver) I then cleaned the area for twigs and leaves. Set my bow and pack down and began checking yardage.
I was sitting on the back of my feet and they began to get sore so I quietly stood. Wind in coming pretty strong from my left shoulder to the right. I am totally camo'd and I look over my left shoulder through a little pine tree and see a deer coming towards me. I see antlers and begin to grab my range finder. The deer is still coming so I decide I don't need to range the buck. I methodically bend down and pick up my bow and clip on. (Thankfully I had already knocked an arrow) While I am picking up my bow and getting into position, this buck is still coming straight at me. Thankfully he stops for a moment and puts his head down so I can draw back. I have no shot yet and he is still coming. (talk about anticipation and adrenaline) The buck comes to about 10 yds and stops. I am fully drawn now for over a minute. (I am thinking and sending the buck a subliminal message to turn). The buck finally starts to turn to my left and as I move my bow about 3-4 inches the buck SPOOKS and leaps to the right about 5 yds. I move my bow over to the right and the buck is quartering to me just a bit. I place my 1st pin (30 yarder) center mass above his leg and ZAPPED him. He expired about 30-40 yds. I sneak up and grab the arrow and left to go and find my buddy.

I am soooooooo excited that my first deer is a trophy wall hanger. I couldn't wait to call my wife and let her know. Finally, I am coming home with something.

PSE Dream Season bow (61 lbs 295 fps) (Wac Em 3 blade 100 gr)

I don't know how to attach the pic. File is too big.

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
ELKHNTR, do you have a PhotoBucket account? If so, are your pictures saved there? If they are, left click on the IMG pane under the photo you want to post and it will copy the URL for you (watch closely for the little yellow pop-up message that say's "copied").

When that's done, all you have to do is go back and "paste" that info into the compose field of your next reply/post, and your picture(s) should appear.

I'm working at getting the boss to increase the file size limits on pictures hosted on the forum. We may have to give up a little on the amount of pictures stored per member, but anything is an improvement over what we have.

Reactions: azelkhntr

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
ELKHNTR, email a couple pictures to me at [email protected] and I'll post them for you in a new thread, in the Big Game section.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts