Javelina....any good?

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by DutchmanAZ, Sep 20, 2006.

1. I've heard that javelina isn't all that prized for table fare. I have never had it, and before I go (hopefully) bag one next spring, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how it tastes.
    I accompanied my son to a hunter's safety class last year, and the instructer said if everything was done right after the kill, people perferred the taste of javelina to that of whitetail deer.
    Others have said it's simply nasty and not worth cooking.:runforhills:
    What's your experience?
    Thanks!

2. Chief

Chief Guest

I don't know that I would say it taste better than venison, but if taken care of properly in the field it's ok. As long as you don't taint the meat with any of the scent you shouldn't have any problems. A lot of people new to hunting javelina try to cut the musk gland out and that is when the problems start. It will just come off when you peel the hide off, no need to do anything different. I normally gut, skin and quarter mine in the field, wrap in cheese cloth and carry it out. I always have a cooler full of ice in the truck when hunting and the javelina will go into it for the ride home. I also use rubber gloves for gutting and skinning, take them off when I quarter it.

3. Thanks Chief!

Anyone else got an opinion?

4. rk

rk Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

In my opinion, javelina meat is just "OK". Any more, I have it all made into bratwurst.

5. Chief hit the nail on the head.

Meat care is critical. From the moment you get it on the ground until its packaged. Moreso then venison you need to remove all the silverskin,fat, sinew, and everything but pure meat. And keeping everything except meat from touching the meat is the next step. Not even the hair if you can help it.

Its actually a lighter meat, not quite pork but close, and if taken care of correctly can be very table friendly. Although most folks dont take the time to actually take care of it. Try it like that, and if for some reason you dont like it then have tamales made out of it or green chile.

In January, we spit roasted some back strap over some mesquite, and even my 12 year old daughter ate it, and liked it enough to go back for more.

Good luck

Shane

6. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

I've only had javelina once. While camping at Roosevelt Lake with my family and in-laws. My father-in-law had a pig tag, so we made the plans to meet them there to go fishing. The day before we got there, he'd managed to fill his tag. He field dressed it immediately, cut, quartered, wrapped, and then started prepping it for the "pit" when he got back to camp. He'd dug a pit prior to our arrival and had the pig wrapped in a series of seasoned/oiled burlap bags. I recall him saying he patted water on the burlap and then wrapped it in foil. Then it went into the pit for 12 hours.

Now, I won't say it was "wonderful", but it was verrry tender, moist and quite edible. No doubt, I'd try it again. Providing it was well-cared for, from the field - to the supper table.

7. Justin

Justin Guest

Javelina summer sausage is superb (at least the stuff the local butcher concocted). My friend turns his javelina into summer sausage as well. We both have not tried turning the javelina into anything besides sausage. I tried making ground javelina but that was the batch i tainted with the damn scent gland, so mid-process, i threw the meat out. As for steaks or roasts, it's unlikely you'll get good taste without significant flavors added. Definitely can't go wrong with the summer sausage! Also, the hunt for them is always fun, and their awesome skull nicely complements any room.

8. Friz95

Friz95 Guest

I can't say as I relished the taste of javelina, but it wasn't as bad as some people tried to tell me before hand. The scent glands are the hunters/chefs worst enemy when it comes to this little creatures, as stated before by almost everyone here. Hopefully this spring I get a chance to find out again just how good/bad it can be.

9. TXJavi

TXJavi Guest

Javelina has no fat content, so it is very lean. It is a "white type" of meat. It is best cooked slowly, whether indoors or out. Injecting it with the likes of Tony Chachere's marinades, makes for some good eating. Another trick is to slow cook it over Mesquite, and I mean slow. When it is almost done, take Bacon and wrap it. the bacon gives it both flavor and the juice contents it needs. A good combination is Tony's and the bacon wrap. As far as the gland issue. Skin the Javi just as you would any other game animal. Do Not cut the gland at first then proceed with skinning. This is where one usually makes a mistake. Alot of times the gland will burst and you will wanna run. As with feral hogs the smaller the Javi the better eatin.

10. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Thanks TXJavi,
    I have had some Javelina cooked in the crockpot and it was great. I am looking to get my first one this spring.

So when you are skining, the gland is on the back about 4 inches above the tail right? Do you skin it within a few inches and just pull the skin pass the gland? When and how would you remove the gland? Any help?