Javelina Hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by bowhuntinmaniac, Nov 22, 2006.

1. For those of you that have not had the adventure of javelina hunting, I would like to give some pointers, and hopefully it will make yer hunt enjoyable and successful.
    By no means am I an authority on this subject, but am willing to help wherever I can. I still keep my ears open to learn something I dont know too.
    Javelina hunting tactics will depend on yer method of chasing the lil stinkers.
    Some tactics can be used in different types of hunting such as calling.
    If you are glassing for pigs, remember they will try to be on southern facing slopes in the mornings to catch the first rays of sun. herd size can be from 1-20, but it has been quite a few years since I have seen 20 together. If it is just a few pigs, it will be harder to locate them. They love washes for travel, feeding and bedding. Some of the foods I have seen them eat are prickly pear, barrel cactus pears, mesquite beans, and roots of different types. Also, remember they are meat eaters too.

Calling can be done different ways. Blind calling is a little more difficult, but can be just as successful. if you try to call this way, the most success I have seen has been to get close to where they bed and try to make them upset. Most of the time, you need to be within 50 yds of their beds and blow like crazy. But be ready, because they will be on top of you before you have finished.
    Calling can also bring back a herd UNLESS they have smelled you. If they have smelled you, they may go from 300 yds to 1 mile away. I have seen calling a group back work even after shots have been taken.
    Another method of calling is to spot a group and you cant close the distance because of wind or terrain. This can bring the herd right to you and you are already set up for the shot.
    Things to remember about calling. There are other methods of calling besides a varmint or J13 call. Pigs can be "woofed" to you even after they have been spooked. Usually, the first one to return is the lead Boar of the group, but remember they will usually come from the downwind side.
    Also, if you smack yer lips real loud like an animal eating, they will come to see what you are eating.
    My preferred method of hunting these lil buggers is to sneak into the mesquite thickets where they bed. These are usually so thick, that you have to go in on yer hands and knees. You will make noise, which will spook the pigs, but as we go, we woof alittle (dont overwoof, it is a alarm to them then) and smack our lips. You will be fighting thorns along the way. They will stick in yer knees and hands. And it usually so thick, you can't shoot more than 15 yds. But, we fool the pigs into thinking there is another group coming in and they come to investigate.
    Remember pigs are vocal animals. Several times I have located groups from hearing them growl, fight and eat. If you are stalking, take yer time and listen. I have been with 40 yds of them and not seen them or knew they were there until I heard them.
    Pigs will feed on and off during the day, and they can be patterned. But things that will change that pattern are pressure from people, coyotes if the group has babies, mountain lions, or lack of food or water in their area. I was scouting 1 week ago and noticed the dry conditions and that there are no mesquite beans on the ground. If there are no mesquite beans, they have already exhausted that resource and will start traveling to find food. I have seen pigs travel miles to find food.
    If you are scouting an area you are unfamilar with, the easiest and fastest way is to start checking waterholes for tracks. If you see old and fresh tracks, the pigs are staying in that area (within a mile or so). If you only see tracks showing 1-2 visits, they are traveling trying to find food.
    I am sure I have left something out, and apologize for making this so long, but I hope it helps someone.
    Garth

2. Garth - It's too late this year, but I think I'd like to have the site sponsor/organize a clinic next year. Lots of people do elk seminars, turkey clinics, etc., but I've never heard of a clinic for pigs. I'd be willing to get door prizes, etc., and maybe another speaker or two.

Thoughts anyone??

3. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH, Others will hear and steal your Idea Desert Rat!
    Sounds like a great idea.

PS. Why is it too late? Spring Hunt is 3 months away. Well I think Bow season starts in Jan. not sure.

Sorry I forgot- Great Post Garth, I need all the help I can get. Thanks. I know you could be the speaker on this.

4. Chief

Chief Guest

Great post Garth. Good idea Desert Rat, let me know how I can be of assistance.

5. Well, too late because I wanted Garth to be the keynote speaker, and I know/suspect he's tied up between now and then...

Plus, there'd be some background stuff - finding a place, creating a budget (Steve?), getting donations, etc.

We could whip something up, but I'd like it to be a well-advertised, well-done event - not sure I could do that. Plus, as you alluded to, we really only have a month, before bow season.

6. I dont know if you want me as a speaker, I will fall all over my tongue trying to act like I have an intelligence. I feel I have a lot of knowledge, but mine is based on bowhunting only. I know how to get close to pigs, too close for rifle hunters.
    I really would like to make this thread an add on. Where everyone adds what they know about javelina hunting. I am sure there are ones here that know from their personal experience other tactics that work, and would like to see it included.
    I was also thinking of doing the same thing for turkey........what do ya think?

7. Good idea.

Even if you don't want to be the speaker, what do you think of the idea of having a javelina clinic?

8. I think it is a good idea. One thing that AZOD started last year was a heavy pig contest and they are doing it again. Maybe there is a way to work in a contest with a seminar. Have the clinic and encourage everyone to enter the contest. I was in 3 contests last year and took 1st place in all 3, and I made over $500 in money and product. Not bad for doing something I love.
    Terry Herndon is the one that heads it up for AZOD, maybe we can get the 2 sites to work together?

9. Terry is a great guy and a great organizer. He got all the door prizes pretty much himself, as far as I know. He has a lot of energy.
    Ok, I will be gone until Sunday Morning, so i will catch up with you then.