javelina sign?

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by Ezra, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Ezra

Ezra Guest

Just got back from unit 32. I got close a couple of times when a heard jumped the truck in the road, but alas no success. Anyways, I found some prickly pear with a pile of chewed prickly pear. anyone seen sign like this before? see photo
    [​IMG]
    [/img]

2. EZRA,

That looks more like rabbit sign then pig. Pigs will leave lots of fibers hanging out as they pull and tear the pads. rabbits will leave clean "cuts" like the one in your pics. And pigs will generally tear the whole cactus up or at least several pads. Not usually just one or 2 pads. Plus there will usually be lots of places around the immediate area where the rest of the herd has rooted.

Good luck

Shane

3. rk

rk Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Looks like rabbit to me, too. Jackrabbits will eat the heck out of just about anything, including creosote bush, palo verde, cholla, and prickly pear, when the pickins are slim. Pack rats will eat prickly pear, too, as will cattle.

4. Ezra

Ezra Guest

The cattle out there chew the heck out of the prickly pear, but all go with the rabbit suggestion due to the size of the bites. Thanks for the info.

5. I havent found them in the pears yet this year. With the rain, the ground is a little softer then normal, and they have been tearing up the roots, Lots of dug out spots. The way to tell the difference. between piggies and everything else. Aside from obvious tracks. Pigs will not have claw marks in the digs. They primarily use their snouts / tusks to dig with. one or both sides will be smooth at the end(s) and any marks will be going from the center upwards. . Look for a whole bunch of hole running about 1- 1 1/2 foot deep about 2 foot long and about half that wide. Usually with a root or remnants of one at the bottom. find a bunch of those with fteshly dug earth, and your in a good feeding area.

Good luck.

Shane