Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family wedding brought us to Kansas in April but in-fact I come here every year at this time for turkey so we had a great time at a Russian/German wedding in Hays America and spent several days visiting with family in Ellis (Austrian roots).

From there we move on to Pratt, KS and turkey hunting. I am hoping the rain is not going to get so bad that it messes up the turkey hunting but this part of Kansas has had lots of rain and it is raining as I write this. Fields are pools of water. The turkey are here, I just have to get out and get after them in the rain.

Once this is done, it is on to Oklahoma and some hog hunting. I meet with my family member, guide next Tuesday so I need to get the turkey thing done and be ready to chase hogs.

What a great trip. Success or not it has been a fun trip with good beer and good hunting. At different times of course.

·
Super Moderator
13,971 Posts
So Lynn, What do they drink at a German / Russian wedding ?, Beer mixed with Wodka ????? Looks like Great turkey area, and a small fish pond. AH HECK, just skip wedding, go hunt and Fish. Id leave hogs alone, to much work for tough Meat.

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look up Volga Germans. That was the groom’s side. The bride (my wife’s side) is Austrian. Lot’s of Polka mixed with country music. Beer is the drink of the day.

Probably not butchering the hogs. It is shoot them and drag them out of the wheat field so they don’t damage machinery. I might try bringing back some pork belly.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Come on man! Hog are great table fare. Only animal I have processed myself, other than rabbits and squirrels. Actually pretty easily done and like I said, very tasty. A whole lot better than those stink pigs we have here in the desert! Wouldn't touch one of those nasty critters.

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Friday was a nothing day. Cold, rain and not worth getting out to set up. I am pretty sure the birds stayed in the shelter belts where they could be out of the wind and stay somewhat dry.

This morning was another story. I set up early, did not roost the birds the night before which in one case turned out to be a mistake. One hen took off from the tree right over me as I was setting up decoys in the dark. Luckily the birds were roosted in a whole line of trees and the rest were undisturbed. The Toms started gobbling before sunrise and shortly three hens flew down within feet of me, looked the decoys over, clucked a little and walked off. The Toms were going bonkers to my calls and stayed out of range and sight. I worked them, and the hens and got them in some but in the end the hens won out and pulled them away.

I am hunting until sundown today and hopefully getting them roosted for tomorrow. It’s is humiliating to be outsmarted by a bird but it is not the first time and I have gotten them more times than they have gotten me.

·
Administrator
6,547 Posts
Good luck, looking forward to pics.

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Four Toms walked toward my decoys this morning but stopped behind a large evergreen that was between us and continued to gobble and strut. I could see them but had no shot with the tree in the way. All were long beards and were putting on a show, vocals and all. If one would move just a little to the south, I had a narrow shooting alley and was going to take my chances with some brush in the alley. I thought the 3 1/2in mags would punch through and the chance of getting one #6 pellet to the head was good.

We played the call softly, and gobble back for what seemed like hours but was probable a few minutes. They did something I had not seen before. They followed each other around and around in a circle, fanning and gobbling. Then one made the mistake of walking into the shooting alley. He dropped with one shot and the other three came over to thump him with their wings and peck at him.

The sun just cracked the horizon as I gathered up the decoys and picked up the Tom. Not a bad finish for this trip.

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reactions: Savageman2506

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The funny part of this is I heard only one Tom gobble after dark last night and he was in the other direction from these four. They roosted a hundred yards or so in another shelter belt from where I had been standing and glassing open field. They never made a sound last night and surprised me this morning with a wild vocal display.

This one had a 10 inch beard and one inch spurs. Probably a 2-3 year old bird and the others were about the same in beard length. They got a free year last year with Covid. Kansas dropped the second tag for this area or I would have had two this morning. Maybe next year.

·
Administrator
6,547 Posts
Very nice, congrats!

Reactions: lynn1130

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Awesome job!

Reactions: lynn1130

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Moved on to Oklahoma a day early. Snow and freezing temps forecast for SC Kansas. We moved on to the Canton area and are to meet with my sister-in-laws nephew for hog hunting. The weather is not going to give us a lot of time before it turns bad again here so we will give it a hard hunt for a couple of days. Donnie sent me a photo of his turkey hunt. He got one day off work to get it done and scored with that. Let’s hope he has the hog’s numbers.

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was going to start a new thread on hogs but I am lazy and tired from 11 hours of driving from Canton to Gallup. Final leg tomorrow. BTW I found an old section of Old Route 66 in OK.

We hunted hard and long for two days. 11 hours one day until 1 AM and 11 hours the second day until 11 PM. I think the weather killed us. It was cold and windy and I’m no expert but I think it kept the hogs in the draws and trees out of the wind. The last day at about sundown we found a Sounder of about 50. Wouldn’t you know they were on property that we could not hunt. We just watched and cried.

Donny was crushed. He just knew we were going to get into them and it just did not happen. I have an open invitation to come back whenever I want (family) I I told him It is only 3 hours from my Kansas turkey hunting spot so you know what that answer is.

Some of the Whitetail in OK equal Kansas for giants and I could have killed several nice Tom turkey.

·
Super Moderator
13,971 Posts
Thats Good Lynn , Nasty Hog tough meat, a 50 may be OK though, shoot the babies. :p Ill buy you some bacon if you need Hog Meat, HAHA !!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats Good Lynn , Nasty Hog tough meat, a 50 may be OK though, shoot the babies. :p Ill buy you some bacon if you need Hog Meat, HAHA !!!!
That is what I was looking for. Babies or something in the 100 to 150 range. Some of those old boars and sows looked like the would go 300-400 easy.

I have to hand it to my backup driver and partner. She took on the C class with a Jeep behind and 30 mph cross winds and never blinked. Gave me a bit of sleep on all legs of this trip. Kansas farm girls have no fear. Red Flag warnings and high profile vehicles are not compatible in most cases :) Kansas/Oklahoma, Texas panhandle and spring winds. Geez!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts