Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started building a trailer for the kayaks this weekend. I had mentioned I was going to do this a while back while waiting for cooler weather....looks like I missed that window lol 馃え

Anyway, I鈥檒l keep posting pics as I go. This should be a pretty sweet setup when its done. Its already farther along than what this pic shows, I just hadn鈥檛 taken another one yet.

5747C654-01E8-4BC8-881B-D35B45A4FDC1.jpeg

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never seen a pizza rack on a trailer. I like it
Pizza and beer 馃槈馃憤lol
Duke said it was break time, so we took a break 馃槀

Registered
Wow nice man. You can definitely make custom trailer that will beat out anything out there.
Nice to see a pic of duke again. In the pic it looked like he was kneeling then realized that鈥檚 not his knee lol

Super Moderator
I dont think Duke got any PIZZA, hes got a funny tummy and does not so nice things after eating stuff he shouldn't, Poor Stacy.

Geez Jim, Elk Drags, Flag Art, Yak Hauler/ Pizza Table, whats next ???

Reactions: az-jim

Registered
Good afternoon to all-
Az-Jim- the great thing about a kayak trailer such as you are building- and doing a damned fine job on it, by the looks- is not that it will transport the kayak- that's easy- a car top will suffice for that. The wonderful thing about this kind of trailer is how much other stuff you can transport now. heck, with that trailer and some lockers and chests secured aboard, you could have enough stuff for a week-long kayak fishing trip easy.
If I had a rig like that and I lived out there, I'd be thinking about a trip to Mexico down along the Sea of Cortez somewhere. Just sayin'.

And not to be personal, but do you live in Chandler? I swear I saw your dog or one that looks just like it quite often when we were out there.

Great work- why don't you make one for me?

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good afternoon to all-
Az-Jim- the great thing about a kayak trailer such as you are building- and doing a damned fine job on it, by the looks- is not that it will transport the kayak- that's easy- a car top will suffice for that. The wonderful thing about this kind of trailer is how much other stuff you can transport now. heck, with that trailer and some lockers and chests secured aboard, you could have enough stuff for a week-long kayak fishing trip easy.
If I had a rig like that and I lived out there, I'd be thinking about a trip to Mexico down along the Sea of Cortez somewhere. Just sayin'.

And not to be personal, but do you live in Chandler? I swear I saw your dog or one that looks just like it quite often when we were out there.

Great work- why don't you make one for me?

you all be safe and keep well- Ed
My main intention with this is to make getting on and on the water faster / more efficient. It takes too much time to load all this in the bed of the truck then unload at the ramp and do it again to get home and again when I actually get home. I plan on leaving the kayaks on the trailer ready to go. Also, as you mentioned now I have room in the bed of the truck for camping gear. Im also going to build a long box with a drawer that will hold the fishing rods which will mount to the trailer.

I live in Mesa, it鈥檚 possible you could have seen Duke, he goes alot of places lol

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My buddy is looking for a dual kayak trailer. Do you build and sell them?
I dont, not that I necessarily wouldnt. The 2 reasons I even bothered with this one is, trailers are really expensive right now, especially a custom one like this. And 2, I had some of the parts already, scavenged from an old boat trailer.

Malone micro sport is a decent looking adaptable trailer. They have bracketry to mount kayaks and mountain bikes, paddle boards etc, I saw one last summer in Payson. BUT... they are $12-1300, and they dont stay for sale long.

Reactions: SingleShot20G

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are multi-skilled sir, I'm sure it's gonna be fantastic. Gotta say that welding is a skill I'd like to learn someday, I've been thinking about looking for a class locally.
Thanks Scott !

I hear MCC has decent classes....

Reactions: SingleShot20G

Super Moderator
Jim, Love to have one, But I bought ladder rack for truck to slide on and off, will do foam on bars before summer to protect edges of yak, tie it down and go. Bed of truck is open for rods, gear, yak crap, ya Know what that is, a box in bed to put yak crap in so it does not get scattered. That was my option for what your doing. Problem with trailers you got to tag them at least once, Making trailer for yourself or a buddy is fine, I believe you can do five a year, after that you have to get licenced as a manufacturer. Ill keep my eyes open for axles laying around, if you give me specs and size on what you need and price your willing to pay for them, Ill keep my eyes open. I can help you with the business forms and crap that goes along with being self employed, Heck, Half the guys on here are self employed one way or the other, some may not be legal though, I think you should become a manufacturer of custom trailers, Good way to get into business on your own, Your DREAM Remember.

Registered
AZ-Jim, Is the trailer done? I'd love to see it once it's done. Your dog looks almost exactly like my old yellow lab Duchess, although Duchess was a female. They look the same from the waist up :)

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AZ-Jim, Is the trailer done? I'd love to see it once it's done. Your dog looks almost exactly like my old yellow lab Duchess, although Duchess was a female. They look the same from the waist up :)
No, not done yet. No progress this weekend either, wife鈥檚 birthday was yesterday and we have family in town. Dont worry, there will be more pics, should have some by the end of the week if not sooner. I need to be done with it by mid June, useable anyway, it may not be painted by then but I have to have it ready for a long weekend on the rim 馃榿. Im trying not to drive my Tundra too much, shes getting old and Im still working on a down payment for the next one, so we鈥檒l be using the wifes 4 Runner. Im not wrestling the kayaks on and off the roof and if I scratch her truck she鈥檒l kill me in my sleep lol.
Funny your lab was named Duchess, our last one was too, also a yellow lab.....Duke and Duchess thats how we picked his name lol

Super Moderator
Whens the BIG weekend on the rim ??? We going to The "CROWDED RIM" or Gai"s ???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts