Killer Snake

Discussion in 'Community Campfire' started by Chief, Jul 4, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

While sitting out on the back patio enjoying my afternoon "spot of tea" I noticed this little cottontail also enjoying the afternoon, not more than a foot or two away from me. All of a sudden this gopher snake came streakng out of a low growing shrub and had lunch. Luckily for me I had the camera sitting on the patio table and was able to capture the whole sequence, from the first attack until he slithered away.

2. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Rabbit Hunter

Chief, I bet that does better than me hunting Bunnys. :lol:

3. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Being as I have an intense interest in archaeology and a trained eye for spotting prehistoric lithic materials, I spotted some artifacts in your picture Chief. Your yard is either a part of a prehistoric archaeological site, or, perhaps you've purposely "salted" your landscape with relics?

In the center of the picture, directly above the snake, you can see a rock with what appears to be a large pottery shard leaning against it. The rock appears to be a metate. Also, in the bottom left corner, there appears to be another metate (grinding) stone. I can't be certain from the pic, but the pottery shard resembles a variety of Salado/Hohokam type. Do you live in the Tucson Basin or Lower Gila drainage? Would you mind if I come down and conduct an archaeological site survey and material sampling in your yard? :roll:

Anyway, awesome pic of the "food-chain order" between a snake and a hare. Thanks for sharing.

4. Your more than welcome to come down and do whatever it is that you do - but be forewarned - the pottery shards are of recent vintage from the local merchants. We live in the Huachuca's.

5. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Well, so much for my pottery-typing skills. :oops:

What about the troughed stones (metates), are they from local merchants too?

6. No - they been there as long as I can remember.