Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No work Monday means a long weekend on Lee's Ferry. There is nothing like camping on the river, anchoring in 2ft of water only to wake up with the entire boat on dry land! I've never been in the summer, going to have to double check the cfs, and when the high/low water is.

I'm not a fly fisherman yet, so hoping spoons, crappie jigs, and rapala's will continue to do the trick. Anyone heading up this weekend, or have experience with the water flows in the summer months?

Photo dump from last year.

·
Administrator
6,547 Posts
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Jimmy

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
The water flow is based on electric use in the valley. Nights and weekends less demand than winter weekdays so you will see the water lowest over night and other non-peak times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The water flow is based on electric use in the valley. Nights and weekends less demand than winter weekdays so you will see the water lowest over night and other non-peak times.
Good to know. I figured the summer would see the highest use of electricity running ac's over heaters in the winter.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There is nothing like camping on the river, anchoring in 2ft of water only to wake up with the entire boat on dry land!
I when up there and found that stuff out the opposite tho. I went wading into the river fly fishing. Then the water started rising quick. I lost both paiers of shoes in the mud and had to throw my rod to the shore to be able to swim in

·
Super Moderator
13,971 Posts
Lees Ferry is not what it use to be, But is anything from a lot of years gone by as good as the Old Days ??? Worm Threaders and big nightcrawlers ruled the day when I use to go, Barbed hooks and water dogs would take the monsters swimming around. 4 to 8 lb Trout were common, they were never messing with the flows other then times at peak, and you knew when that was cause they would sound a Very Loud Horn about 5 mins before they increased flows to give you time to get moving if wading or standing on a sand bar, You could hear that horn for about 5 miles downstream of the dam, and they would sound a little horn about 10 seconds before the loud one to give you time to plug your ears, otherwise you were deaf for a day, it was that loud. That big Pool under the damm was fantastic fishing with a Surf rod and reel, cast all the way to the concrete from the buoy line that went across the river Good Days on the water were the norm, stories were caught and told around the campfire for many years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts