Late season Mittry Lake ducks

Discussion in 'Bird Dogs, Upland, Migratory & Waterfowl' started by terrierjeep, Jan 12, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

Have been hoping to get out to Mittry since last season and finally did. I didn't have the best timing as far as big ducks go but it was another good learning session. I learned there is a big area set up as a refuge that wasn't mentioned any where online. Kind of threw a wrench in my plans but I worked around it.

Here are a few pictures of the signage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to stay near the north end where there is a dirt boat ramp and easy camping access. Saw about 40 RVs and car dwellers but a good camp spot was open for me. Came in right as the storm blew through and with the muddy roads I almost put the truck in the ditch twice.

[​IMG]

First day got set up along what I hoped to be a fly way. It was but they were about 500 feet about me. I picked up, set the battery to charge, cruised and found a premade duck blind. Pretty neat set up and I am very thankful it was set up out there. It is a lot easier to shoot standing than from laying down. I didn't get a chance to brush in the boat blind so that was another plus, I thought this would be more of a scouting trip but I couldn't resist the blind.

[​IMG]

There were thousands and thousands of coots. Super loud all day and night, fighting and chasing each other.

[​IMG]

I saw a lot of passing birds but would move too much and flare them off. I did shoot about ten rounds, nine of which missed. This shoveler hen was passing just close enough that I could drop her and not lose her in the reeds. I look forward to going back next year. I really want to find a spot for geese some day... I'll keep looking though.

azhogfan and Birdbanger83 like this.
  2. Very Cool, Never been there. Thanks for sharing.

terrierjeep likes this.

3. Awesome post congrats on the bird still looking for mine hopefully I can finish this season up on a high note

terrierjeep likes this.
  4. Good stuff. Nice looking wetland. Too bad birds didn't cooperate more.

terrierjeep likes this.
  5. Nice dude!!!! I think I may be getting the that itch to go Duck Hunting again... beeeeeen yearssss!!!!

terrierjeep likes this.
  6. Being that close to Yuma, do you believe it sees a fair amount of pressure? Any other hunters out there while you were there?

terrierjeep likes this.
  7. I saw one other guy who was jump shooting and nailed two. He seemed like he had the right idea and had been there more than a few times. Id think since there is a built blind that it isn't exactly a secret spot.

Knowing that the Cibola refuge is right up the way and is a huge draw for other hunters I am sure people get the same idea that I did. I was surprised they had such a big area roped off but they actually leave plenty of huntable space, at least for passing shots like I saw. I am sure it all changes as the season goes on though, but yeah I am sure they get shot at a lot. Plus being so far down the chain of the migration, north to south, I would think we have the most educated birds by this time of the year.

8. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. I have never been there, so it was cool to see the shots.

terrierjeep likes this.
  9. I hope all of the documentation is taken with the correct intention.

Seasons, times of the week, the day, the fucking time of day... everything changes but the location should at least be documented. Arizona is well known for the secrecy of a hunter's "Honey Hole" but the fact is we have so much available land to hunt, the mention of a location is merely a relative term. All and all... make friends - hunt more - find better spots - share if willing.

If I am out of line please correct me. (Beers deep)

Cheeers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018