Lion Shoulder Roast

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by Chief, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Ingredients:

4 or 5 pound shoulder roast
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic Powder
    4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
    2 Cloves of Garlic sliced (or more) I use a lot og garlic :D
    3 Med onions, sliced thick (2 white or yellow and one red for color)
    2 Baking apples quartered - cored but not peeled (one green and one red again for color - presentation is everything)
    Bacon
    White Vinegar
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Debone and trim all fat from roast, soak overnight in salt water. Pat dry then rub with olive oil, mix the brown sugar, salt, pepper and garlic powder together and rub onto the roast, every inch should be covered, see no meat!

Add some oil to an iron skillet, get it hot and then brown the roast evenly on all sides. Remove from skillet cover top of roast with bacon strips, you may need to hold them in place with toothpicks or even tie with butcher string. Place in oven bag with the garlic slices, onion slices and apples, I have also added carrots, celery and whole baby red potatoes. Seal bag tightly and put in a preheated oven at 300 for about 3 hours or until done to you liking.

Asparagus with a hollandaise sauce is a good compliment

Serve with a Chenin Blanc, chilled.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Super Mod Mod

Mmmmm... I'll make you a deal chief - take me lion huntin - if we get one, I'll cook, and even bring the wine :wink:

3. I gotta tell you

I had the opportunity to eat lion chops many years ago fried in a little grease over a camp fire in an iron skillet.
    One of the best meals I've ever had, and I've never forgot it. Thanks for bringing back a few memories guys. :D

4. I cooked my lion with just salt & pepper and fried in butter. Real simple and lets the flavor of the meat come out. Have also made breakfast sausage and that came out pretty good too.