Log Book

Discussion in 'Predators & Furbearers' started by Chief, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief Guest

When calling do you guys keep a log book to record all "your stuff?" I pretty much can tell ya a little something about every predator I have called in in the last 20 years or so. What call used, how long on stand, rifle, wind direction, how long before the critter responded, sex, weight, etc. If the new callers would keep a log book and be honest and diligent about it they can learn more about their prey target and themself then they ever could from all of the DVD's on the market. They would soon learn which call to use at various times of the year, how long to stay on a stand, how the animals approach and a wealth of other useful info. They will also learn more from their mistakes than their successes. Try it this calling season - you just might learn something, not only about wily coyote but about yourself also.

2. Chief,

Does that mean I'm in print somewhere?? Great, Chief has my "excellent shooting ability" :oops: on file.... :shock: AS long as he dont make me come clean I should be OK. Other then the fact I probably skewed his whole book with the couple of hunts I have been on with him. :lol:

Ya know Chief, That is something I have never thought of. I think I will get a log book and start keeping a few records. Might work for other critters also. Like coues. hmmmm. Now hes got me thinking, and thats dangerous. one of these days I will catually get an arrow into one of those little critters. Hopefully this Dec.

Thanks Chief for the idea. Now if Ican just remember to follow through with it.

Shane

3. I've always intended on keep a log, but by the time I get home I'm so worn out I've never done it.

4. Cochise

Cochise Guest

I like to keep track of what areas that I've called in. Like when and where. I have this thing about not wanting to call from the same stands all the time. I may call in the same area, But I like to spread myself around. It may be two to three years before I used a stand again. I don't like to be predictable. I know my areas pretty good. I choose my calls by what the food sources are, and what seems to be in the best supply. Sometimes I been known to throw everything out the window. So to speak. And try a call that sounds totally different then anything that I normally use. For instance. I've got an squealer call that's pretty high pitched. The few times that I've used it. It has proven to be successful. I do believe that keeping some kind of record of your varmint hunts is a good idea. After all, you don't want to do too much in one given area at one time. Coyotes are many things. Stupid isn't one of them. Especially the seasoned ones. I have noticed that different calls work better in some areas then they do in others. I hope you all are doing well, and maybe someday they will let off work long enough to do some hunting.

5. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Weasel, Sounds like me. :lol:

6. kenton6

kenton6 Guest

Here's some helpful hints for those who are serious about keeping a log but don't have the time or energy. These days you can buy a small digital recorder. I carry one now all the time. Speak into it and record what it is you want on record. Many of these recorders will hold a ton of material.
    Now, there are some relatively inexpensive voice softwares out there for your computer. Get it. When you have a day, you can play the recording into the computer with this voice software and it will begin typing out your words.
    All you need to do after that is edit it a bit because the software isn't perfect and you now have a log saved.

The software takes so time to recognize your words. So you will have to record stuff and play it back until it recognizes your tones, etc. Then it's not too bad. Like I said it isn't going to be good enough to publish a book by but it is record.

Might be worth investigating. I'm having a bit of a brain fart right now trying to remember the name of this software. It's called something like "Professionally Speaking" ??

7. What an epiphany!! It sure makes sense. When I was running, I always kept a logbook - date, time, distance, length of run, route, weather, shoes, etc. that's the only way to improve. I even had log when I was gardening extensively. And we definitley had log books in the service.
    That's a very good way to learn what works what doesn't, productive areas, # of times each area produced. This could be a gold mine waiting to be dug.
    Thanks for pointing me back to the obvious. I should have gotten a logbook right after I got my first call.