Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drew antlerless in UNITs 17A, 17B, 18B, 19B, 20A. never stepped foot in any of em. Gonna come out and do some scouting but this is a huge area and I could really use some local intel to help nail down a general area to hunt. I'm a recurve guy shooting wood arrows so I need someone who is slow and deliberate...has the patience of Jobe and a good sense of humor. I don't need a kill to enjoy the hunt, the pursuit itself is my love. If i get a shooting opportunity, that's a plus. But I suck at calling and it's 100 times easier to seal the deal with a partner calling 50 yards behind you. If you're willing to put in the time deboning you can have half the cow. Only fair.

If the heat is on, the wind is high and midday hunting is a waste of sweat...I have no problem heading into town for a movie and a steak lunch. Last time I drew a tag the midday temps and wind made it pointless to hunt. We checked water sources for fresh sign and game cams then took it easy for a spell. It was really a morning-only kinda pattern but we did try in the hours before dusk too. None of that panned out. All the action was within 90 minutes of legal shooting light.

So that's it. I'm easy to get along with and am not judgmental in any way. I'll hunt with ya no matter what you look like.

Registered
Ill hunt with her too.馃槀 Just don't tell my wife.

Green.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta love her...she hunts without arrows. No paper-rock-scissors to see who shoots first. LOL

Registered
Well, there's people plenty more knowledgeable than me in these zones, but if you need a hand in packing out or just want weather reports and the like you can always reach out to me. I'll PM you my cell number.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much obliged...I have never hunted any of these units. I don't wanna accidentally step on any property owners toes. :)

Super Moderator
@Where's Bruce?, are you a res or non-res?

And, do you have the early or late archery hunt?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sep 21-30 are the dates I'm hunting.

Premium Member
Bruce, I know jack about recurve but im willing to give a hand. Neither fern nor I drew so at the moment our cams are going idle. I will be willing to get out and help scout and given enough advance warning i can take vacation and drag my camper out to help you hunt. Message me if you need me.

Oh and I take fabulous banner photos ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not planning to be picky this year cuz a cow is a cow so i'll deflate the first girl I see. But having someone capable of calling that knows the area and takes good photos is a tremendous plus. Depending on the temps, I might camp at the Holiday Inn. :D

I have found that much of the hunting in AZ is close to roads and camping is not as helpful as it is in other areas. When it's in the 90s+ outside, there's a lot to be said for A/C and showers. Plus I'm writing a fictional book and find the quiet time to be conducive to that endeavor.

But if it's beneficial then I can always throw this thing up.

It's just such a large area...still looking for my Onyx chip to see how much public vs private land is available to isolate an area to hunt. Not used to having so much real estate to pick from, it's kinda daunting when you've never been there. I'm actually in the market for a hunting cabin and this might be a good time to start looking around Prescott, it's a nice area for sure.

Super Moderator
I know a large portion of this area quite well.

A few tips......

This is tank-of-gas-a-day country.

Sign can be tough to find. Most of it will be real old.

Very few elk throughout these units, but they can be found, and patterned, and you could find small groups of them just about anywhere. Having said that, I killed my cow last year out of a herd of over 150 head. Obviously during the rut you won't see herds of that size.

These elk are quite resourceful regarding their water sources. They also go nocturnal very quickly when pressured.

Calling "could" work during the rut, but again, very few elk in a very large area.

Best bet is to glass them and figure out how to get to them for a stalk. Most likely will be "long" glassing.

Reactions: Savageman2506

Super Moderator
Cash in the point guard.
I didn't say this hunt was impossible. We killed these 3 cows last year. 1 with the same tag Bruce has, and 2 late rifle. The bull was taken in 2015 in one of these units.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have big glass-will travel.

Thanks...truck is diesel so I have range.

Super Moderator
I know area pretty good to.

Super Moderator
You should do well. Put in your time and you'll find some.

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Super Moderator
I know old post, But, Look at that fancy tripod, LOL, prolly cost more then the scope !!! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts