Moon?

Discussion in 'Polls, Suggestions, Tips & "How To's"' started by TallPaul, Dec 1, 2006.

Does the Moon Effect your Hunting?

1. Yes, the Moon effects my hunting for the Better. I use it all the Time.

100.0%
  2. No, the Moon doesn't effect my Hunting. I never think about it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ( For Arizona ) Maybe the Moon effects my Hunting , but I have to Hunt Big Game When the AZG&F say I

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

I was wonder if you think and or know, that the Moon effects your hunting?

Feedback would be good.

2. Cochise

Cochise Guest

The moon plays a big role in my hunting. With a full moon the game move around a lot more at night. As for varmint hunting. I've never had much luck hunting during a full moon. I've had the same experience with deer, and what little bit of elk hunting the Game and Fish lets me do.

3. ifishbaja

ifishbaja New Member

Cochise is right and unfortunately, the few extremely rare occasion when I get drawn for deer or elk, it always opens on a full moon!

Doug Gordon

4. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Cochise, You say you never had much luck hunting on a full moon hunting varmints. I thought that would be the best time. I guess if I were to keep a log on hunting I might answer my question.
    I do keep a log for dove and Quail and turn that one in to the G&F.

5. Chief

Chief Guest

The only time I have had any success during a full moon was hunting at night from a high seat in Germany over a snow covered field. Whenever I apply for my permits I always check the moon phases before I submit them. I have killed predators and deer on days of a full moon just have had to work harder at it. The second largest coues I killed was at 1300hrs on the day of a full moon. Seems the critters are moving much later in the day, not very active at sunup and do not start moving in the evening until after legal shooting hours.

6. I hate archery hunting deer under a full moon. It sucks.

7. Cochise

Cochise Guest

When it comes to bird hunting. I don't see the moon phases making much a difference. With dove and quail anyway. Those are the only birds that I've ever hunted. I've have killed deer on full moons. Like Chief said, It's harder. You have to put more into your hunting. When it comes to varmint hunting you can have success. It seems the best chances. If any. Are right at day break. With coyotes. I love cloudy, crisp, cool days with little or no wind. Especially if those days are following a very dark night. One thing about coyote hunting. I've seen them come to call when I would of bet the house that they wouldn't. I've found that hunting coyotes during a full moon is very poor. I don't always let a full moon stop me. These days if I ever get a chance to go out and call. Guess what? I believe in just being out there and being able to hunt is a big part of what it's all about. If you can bag anything? That just icing on the cake.

8. I recently read that biologists have recorded no difference in deer feeding activity during a full moon or a dark moon.

I like camping with a full moon.

I was glad to have a bright moon when I had to track a liver hit Bull Elk. We found him at 1AM.

I would never stay home because of the moon.

I howl at the moon. LOL

9. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Moon

Hey ThomC, I was waiting for someone to mention that they Howl at the moon. Me too. :mrgreen:
    And I would like to welcome you here as well. :welcome:

10. I like hunting during a full moon. Seems to me that the deer stay out just a little longer in the mornings feeding ebfore they lay down for the day. Vice versa they seem to stay bedded longer in the evenings and as stated before arent always back up again during shooting hours. So during a full moon I'm glassing longer in the mornings and less in the evenings. This switches on a dark moon. I'm still out early but usually end up taking a nap a little earlier in the day, and gearing up for a trek off the mountain with the flashlight.