Mounting a Scope

Discussion in 'Firearms, Shooting, Optics, & Outdoor Gear' started by Desert Rat, Jun 16, 2007.

1. I'm getting ready to mount a new scope/base/rings to the rifle my wife bought for me at Christmas.

Do you guys use LocTite on the mounting screws?

What about making sure the vertical crosshair is true? I don't have a boresiter or similar device. Do you just eyeball it?

2. Take a level, and a vice and go from there. . LEvel the rifle out and clamp it down ( dont tear up the stock in the vice). Put a board or anything else you can find thats flat and straight, in front of the rifle, and level it. Then put the scope on it and straighten her out. I loc tite everything. Now days with the torques head screws it might not be as mandatory as it used to be. I still do it though. As for eye balling the bore. Thats pretty easy also. Pull the bolt out, and line it up on something, then check the scope. I have found those 2 things to be as easy if not easier then all the fancy stuff you can buy to do roughly the same thing. I bore sight at 10 feet, then 25 feet, and then 50 yards. That shoud definately get you on paper and you can go from there.

Good luck,

Shane

3. I have a semi-auto, so I can't take the bolt out. Other than that, all of your instructions sound clear. I'll have to get at it tomorrow!

4. What kind of rings/bases do you have? Weaver type need different treatment than Leupold type. I always use red loctite. Then mount the bases. Weaver type I then mount the base of the ring pushing it all the way forward because that's where it will end up eventually. Then assemble the scope into the top straps and secure it as previously mentioned by Coues 84. Leupold bases I mount the base of the front ring and use my machinist square to square it to the mount base. A combination square should work. Then loosely mount the rear base and then mount the scope and top of the rings. Tighten the rear ring so that you put no pressure on the scope left or right. This is where a boresighter (or dial indicator) comes in handy because you can see changes in windage as you tighten it. Just be gentle and all should go well. You can go further and actually lap the rings in but this usually works well for normal intents and purposes.
    Mark