Arizonahuntingforums.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my sister's boyfriend is an avid fly fisherman in Colorado. He floats rivers every weekend during fishing season and has started taking her out with him. The two below were caught in the San Juan last summer on a trip they took. Her largest was a 34" rainbow. She came to visit me in Show Low and we caught some stock trout and she was shocked that there was nothing bigger. Their first day on the San Juan, she caught 47 browns, rainbows, and brook trout. Here's where it gets worse...

They fish barbless and only keep a trout or 2 a week that are under 16". She said anytime they hooked something under around 24", they would just try to shake it loose and not waste their time with it. I had to explain to her that she has not learned to fish, she has learned to catch. She's spoiled forever now.

20210222_093541.jpg
20210222_093541.jpg
20210222_093510.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,403 Posts
That same river in New Mexico produces the same size, a bit closer, just east of Shiprock.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'll add this to my list of places to go too!

Also, yup, your sis is definitely ruined now!

The river I learned to catch big browns in wasn't clear water but silty and murky, and had very random flows... Either the fish are there, or they're not, and usually the latter. Too me four years of fishing it to catch any browns. You have to be super accurate with your lure placement and have a perfect presentation or they're not interested...

Then when you get spoiled with a 60+ fish weekend, you know that's not the norm and you better appreciate it :D.

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Too many people who would rather fill a cooler than enjoy the true sport of fishing the Colorado (San Juan) for trophy trout ruined what was a good thing.

The other issue came with Browns being added to too many trout fisheries. Many think they are trash fish, that like Stripers totally destroy trout fishing in a waterway. Stripers literally killed trout fishing in the Colorado below Hoover.

Just MHO but Lee’s Ferry and the San Juan were the place to go in the 70s for superior trout fishing. Browns were not in the rivers. It was Rainbow and later Cutthroat. Utah introduced Stripers in Powell and ruined the Rainbow fishing, then, I am not sure who, maybe Colorado F&G introduced Browns into the San Juan and sealed the fate of Rainbow, Cutthroat fishing. They eat everything moving.

I really did not follow what all happened over the years and someone will surely find my take on this is not totally accurate but fact is that premier fishery is gone now and you can catch big Brown’s but is that all there is?

Reactions: SingleShot20G

·
Registered
330 Posts
Too many people who would rather fill a cooler than enjoy the true sport of fishing the Colorado (San Juan) for trophy trout ruined what was a good thing.

The other issue came with Browns being added to too many trout fisheries. Many think they are trash fish, that like Stripers totally destroy trout fishing in a waterway. Stripers literally killed trout fishing in the Colorado below Hoover.

Just MHO but Lee's Ferry and the San Juan were the place to go in the 70s for superior trout fishing. Browns were not in the rivers. It was Rainbow and later Cutthroat. Utah introduced Stripers in Powell and ruined the Rainbow fishing, then, I am not sure who, maybe Colorado F&G introduced Browns into the San Juan and sealed the fate of Rainbow, Cutthroat fishing. They eat everything moving.

I really did not follow what all happened over the years and someone will surely find my take on this is not totally accurate but fact is that premier fishery is gone now and you can catch big Brown's but is that all there is?
She's holding a 34" rainbow from the San Juan. Obviously the browns didn't get em all lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That same river in New Mexico produces the same size, a bit closer, just east of Shiprock.
Good to know. Thanks bearfoot!

I know it's way past norrmal hours but i just found out I'm being dispatched to Payson tomorrow. Any chance you might be home for me to see that flat line map of 3c? If not i completely understand. Thank you again!

·
Registered
695 Posts
There are rumors that trout that size exist in Tonto Creek in the Hellsgate Wilderness, I'm getting too old and broken down to find out if that's true.

Thanks for sharing these pics, those are just beautiful!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts