Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am looking to get into archery. I was hoping to get some recommendations on stores that would be helpful to someone like me who doesn't have the slightest clue about archery and wants to purchase my first compound bow. I understand there are multiple variables to fit the right bow at the right price. I live in East Mesa so the closer the better but if I have to drive a little in order to get good customer service that is also fine. I don't really trust google reviews but I have looked at them for different shops across the valley. Who do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
I've come to like archeryhq in chandler. Friendly staff there, Travis can help get you setup. Summertime I use their range quite often. Where ever you go, go with a budget in mind then shoot all the bows you can in that budget, but what you like best. Unless you're left handed then you're kind of stuck with what they have if any

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've come to like archeryhq in chandler. Friendly staff there, Travis can help get you setup. Summertime I use their range quite often. Where ever you go, go with a budget in mind then shoot all the bows you can in that budget, but what you like best. Unless you're left handed then you're kind of stuck with what they have if any
I live relatively close to Rio Salado Shooting Range. I understand they have a pretty solid archery setup so that's good. I will be checking out that place in chandler. I hope I can get something that works for at the big size of the scale would be efficient for Elk but still work for smaller critters for my entry price range of around 400-600 dollars.

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
I live relatively close to Rio Salado Shooting Range. I understand they have a pretty solid archery setup so that's good. I will be checking out that place in chandler. I hope I can get something that works for at the big size of the scale would be efficient for Elk but still work for smaller critters for my entry price range of around 400-600 dollars.
you'll be able to find a bow for all game here in that range. Haven't been to the range at rio Salado yet but have heard the same. Need to make a trip there one of these days.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Rio Salado have walk and shoot 3d targets, like golf for men.
You enjoy archery, the scenery and get your exercise at the same time.

Green.

Reactions: bearfoot1

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Timber Mesa is on the east side and ive had good experiences with them.
I walked in to Timber Mesa on Southern and Gilbert with zero experience. The guys there set me up, built my bow for me, and had me sighted in at 20 yards very quickly. Did not have any issues. And you can definitely get going for $500-$600.

Also, if you've got access to a 3D range you'll be in loooooove. I shot at Usery's range several times before I moved and it was so much fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had good success at Bear Mountain. I bought a used bow and they got me set up and were super helpful. They let me shoot at their range for a couple of hours for no charge for that first day. In my opinion, it's always better to help out the local shops and buy from them but my only comment on bow shops is that the components they sell in shop are way overpriced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had good success at Bear Mountain. I bought a used bow and they got me set up and were super helpful. They let me shoot at their range for a couple of hours for no charge for that first day. In my opinion, it's always better to help out the local shops and buy from them but my only comment on bow shops is that the components they sell in shop are way overpriced.
You see the same thing at gun stores as well. I try to shop at the small shops but its tough to swallow knowing you can get accessories for sooo much less online...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I walked in to Timber Mesa on Southern and Gilbert with zero experience. The guys there set me up, built my bow for me, and had me sighted in at 20 yards very quickly. Did not have any issues. And you can definitely get going for $500-$600.

Also, if you've got access to a 3D range you'll be in loooooove. I shot at Usery's range several times before I moved and it was so much fun!
TImber Mesa is definitely much closer! I appreciate the feedback! Sorry for my delayed response. Been busy couple days doing some car maintenance lol. Ive heard good things about the 3D ranges...looking forward to getting started!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Timber Mesa is on the east side and ive had good experiences with them.
Thanks for the recommendation. They are definitely much close. Is it a good shop just to walk into or should I call ahead of time?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rio Salado have walk and shoot 3d targets, like golf for men.
You enjoy archery, the scenery and get your exercise at the same time.

Green.
Nice. Getting out and being active (especially with my kids) is the biggest reason for wanting to do this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts