Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time back I gave my Coyote gun to our oldest Grandson. I had thought I would replace it when I retired but after a summer of riots, Covid, and a election. Any gun is scarce around here. And any gun in 223 is impossible to get!
So I finally found a used Savage Axis that was in like new condition. The seller put a Burris scope on it and included a couple magazines for $350. He wanted an AR but settled for this till he could get one. The new guns are going for near $800! [ for a $300 gun].
I'll be happy to get this one home. I'm hoping it will shoot the unleaded 36 gr Barnes Varmint Grenades well. Because I have a good supply of them. And Ill be replacing the plastic stock with a Boyds thumbhole varmint stock.
I hope I like this one because finding another won't be easy!
I'll put up a Before and after pic when it gets out of the CA 10 days in jail! The stock should be here by then. DR

·
Registered
931 Posts
Good find,
Boyds stock will make the Savage looks great. What color is the stock?

Are you still planning a trip to Prescott area this spring?

Green.

Reactions: Savageman2506

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good find,
Boyds stock will make the Savage looks great. What color is the stock?

Are you still planning a trip to Prescott area this spring?

Green.
I'm thinking Forest Camo, or Pepper [ black and grey]. I have a 22 in sky blue that I like but not for a hunting gun. I also have a 17 hornet I want to put in a Zombie green stock. [ Green Hornet]. Boyds says they are behind a couple weeks So I'm still deciding if I want the AT1, or the Feather Weight Thumbhole.
We had to cancel our trip in March because we could not get Covid shots. I have an appointment to get one now. So the soonest we will be good to travel will be about early June.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
426 Posts
Some time back I gave my Coyote gun to our oldest Grandson. I had thought I would replace it when I retired but after a summer of riots, Covid, and a election. Any gun is scarce around here. And any gun in 223 is impossible to get!
So I finally found a used Savage Axis that was in like new condition. The seller put a Burris scope on it and included a couple magazines for $350. He wanted an AR but settled for this till he could get one. The new guns are going for near $800! [ for a $300 gun].
I'll be happy to get this one home. I'm hoping it will shoot the unleaded 36 gr Barnes Varmint Grenades well. Because I have a good supply of them. And Ill be replacing the plastic stock with a Boyds thumbhole varmint stock.
I hope I like this one because finding another won't be easy!
I'll put up a Before and after pic when it gets out of the CA 10 days in jail! The stock should be here by then. DR
Check out Gunbroker.com
Tons of .223's there.
I picked up a T/C Venture II in .223/.556 recently
For $550 shipped.
Lots of Savage Axis too for cheaper.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both the Axis and Venture are $300+ guns. They are regularly on sale here in that price.... Well till this year. I just picked the wrong time to be without one. And I'm sure as soon as I get this one outfitted the way I want the price will bottom out!
But that's OK I'll shoot this one till it pays for itself! I'll just have to get more use out of it! DR

Reactions: Savageman2506

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got to shoot the new rifle today! I think this one is going to make me happy!
It rained yesterday and the 100 yard line was a mudhole, The wind was blowing, and I was using off the shelf Rem 55 gr fmj ammo. But this is the result.

These were 5 shot groups, from 95 yards. They measure .073 and .080. Not bad for a cheap rifle in a mushy plastic stock. The first thing to go will be the stock. I just like the feel and look of wood. If that also improves the way it shoots That will be icing on this cake!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
300 Win Mag makes my shoulder hurt just thinking about shooting it! After a couple surgery's I sold off the 7mm mag and the 300 WM. After the last group of surgery's I got rid of the 45-70 and 45 120. That's also about the time I got more serious about varmint hunting! This 223 has very little recoil at all. The two guns I use for larger game are 30-30 and 6.5x55 Mauser. Both will do the job, I just need to get in closer! DR

·
Registered
931 Posts
6.5x55 😀 my favorite cartridge.

Green.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts