Arizona Hunting Forums banner

New guy

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  lynn1130 
#1 ·
I’m new to Arizona but have elk hunted in Colorado for 20 years. So I’m trying to learn which units in Arizona to hunt(archery) elk. Also how does the draw work here in Arizona? Most archery tags in Colorado were OTC. Do you have to apply for a bull tag? Can I buy archery tags OTC. I missed the draw because at the deadline I had not been here for 6 months. Bummer

#2 ·
Welcome to aht! It’s a draw here for the most part. There are some otc elk opportunities but not many venture into those. It’s a point system here, Get your hunters Ed card and get a point, as well as one for every time you don’t draw. Like everywhere, unit and type of hunt dictates how hard it is to draw. There’s a good video by game and fish on the draw process.

#6 ·
Welcome! I lived in CO for a few weeks shy of 20 years. I haven't invested any time / energy into the limited OTC tags here, as I've been told, and the game and fish web site also states, that the population is pretty low, odds are way against you. I have plenty of challenges just picking up a bow and trying to get within range of an elk, don't need more odds against me in terms of limited population and access. That said, I still have 13 bonus points in CO that I plan to use as soon as I get a house built here and have the time to invest in heading back up there for both scouting and hunting. In the meantime, I've been lucky and got drawn 2 out of the 3 years I've put in here, and I think it's been because of putting in as part of a group with my son in law and his dad. This year I didn't get drawn here. Good luck to you in next years draw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.