Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked several times. But.........
I have been out several times this spring, and yes I know it is a difficult time right now for dogs, but still I have not seen one, nor any scat, or even prints.

I am kind of treating it as if I am tracking whitetails.

I look for any sign, feeding areas, tracks. Nothing??

The two areas I have concentrated on are, Table Mesa road north of New River, and a few different roads around Lake Pleasant recreation area.

I know you guys don't want competition in the field, but a little help would be greatly appreciated.

Keli

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You and a few hundred other folks hit the country just outside of town. Need to get farther afield if you want to call in a dog or three. The close ones have been highly educated, can probably tell you what make & model of call you are using.

G

·
First :welcome: aboard, hope to see ya around often.

Secondly I moved your post from the Hunting Lounge to down here were it is more appropriate.

Thirdly ya got some good advice from Slim and BHM not much I could add other than look into the thick stuff. With the weather as hot as it is that's were you'll find them. Near water and holed up in the shade. Early morning late night normally bring the best results, try howling instead of a distress call. This time of year they have pups and will not tolerate another coyote in the area. Hope this helps.

Again :welcome:

G

·
The only other thing that I could add is. When looking for sign. Try looking in the washes. A lot of the time. Coyotes will use them for travel routes. They are also a good source for food. Rabbits, mice and what have ya. When it's hot and dry. Like Chief said. Sunrise and sunset are your best bets. Coyotes like to lay up when it gets hot. Yep, pay attention to the brushy areas. Good luck and good hunting. Welcome to Arizona!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome muscle up. My girlfriend and I have been camping near Stoneman Lake in 6A and have been seeing large amounts of coyotes while hiking. Six one day. And they just look then walk away. I'm getting a license soon and will educate them with the 270. It's fawning time for the deer and it's good not to have the dogs around.
Mark

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx

I know I should not come aboard and start beggin'......

I am a bit of a forum freak. So normally I know the proper protocol.

Say all my greetings, show respect for the 500+ posters, and just read and get the info I want.

But..............
I am as about frustrated as a three legged cat trying to bury turds on a frozen pond!:p

I know there are 'yotes around. I see them whenever I leave the rifle at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel that it is a great pasttime, especially to just keep my trigger finger soft.

I am typically a Bowhunter, (Hint Hint) bowhuntinmaniac.

I want to hit the 'yotes while I am out scouting. I throw a few calls out, a few distress, and wait. If nothing I will then try to find another area that looks promising for mulies.

I like the advice about the distress call thing. I also understand that they are all bitched up right now, but it is a good time to learn.

I need to bust that "cherry" though!!!!!

I have the fever.

Keli

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
side note.

I was up north by perkinsville and got some pretty nice cottons and jacks. Stew tomorrow.

I saw what I am pretty darn sure were Blacktails. Kind of small and all does. almost a dozen of them.

Is this normal for Blackies?
Travelling without a buck?

Also a true Minnesota boy here, another question.
Due all the deer here in minnesota sans the coues, travel closely to each other?

Sorry Chief. I know this should be in another area.
You will get sick of me, FAST.:welcome:

Keli

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think that there are only coues and mulies here, no blacktails. Usually the bucks travel in bachelor groups during the summer and the does bunch up after they have their fawns. I'm in the process of finding some to hunt this fall in Arizona. I'm locating rutting sign from last year and finding food sources they will utilize this fall like acorns (look up into the trees with your binos to see if there are immature nuts). Trails leading to water are good. I've got hunts in Utah and Kansas so far to prepare for too. Colorado draws come out June 1st and I expect to go there too! Good luck.
Mark

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
No blacktails here.

Don't leave home without your gun, at a minimum pack a pistol.

No matter what you hunt in Az water is the achilles heel. Not a lot of it available and all game needs it. Find the water and you will find the game.

Since you aren't from around here invest in some good mapping software and buy a map book. I like the Gazateer, it's always in my truck and does a pretty good job of depicting the terrain and roads.

Have fun exploring, Az is a beautiful state with a lot of varied terrain to offer.

G

·
If I'm in an area where I know that there's coyotes. And I know that the hunting pressure is high. Then it's time to change things. Like the the way I call, set up, and the length of time on a stand. When calling. Don't give them the same ole sounds that they are used to hearing. If a coyote isn't enticed. They will not have a reason to come to a call. Entice them. Give them something different. At the same time. Make it sound real. Distressed animals don't all sound the same. So mix it up somewhat. Be prepared to stay on the stand longer. Educated coyotes very seldom come to a call very fast. They will usually come in very cautiously. They will try and locate where the calls are coming from. They will use what cover that they can find to approach you. So it's a good idea to use what cover you can to conceal yourself. Maybe choose a stand down lower. Down in a wash, or in the brush. If your in a area where you can't see very far. Then you know the coyote can't either. If you choose to do this be careful. Shots are going to be quick, and close. Be sure to protect your back. Coyotes aren't the only predators out there. One other thing. You won't hear them coming. So keep a sharp lookout for any kind of movement from any direction. But all in all. This is bad time of the year to have much luck. It can still be done, but your going to have to show a lot of patience. Good luck to ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts