Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having never hunted predators before I have some questions. It also seems like our resident predators hunters have left the forums :-(
I want to do my part as a big game hunter to keep predators numbers down. I've only taken opportunistic shots while doing other activities. Mainly talking about foxes and coyotes. But if you have secrets for lions and bears im all ears!

Is there a better time to hunt predators? Morning and Evenings? Has anyone done a night time hunt in a daylong unit?
What are the better e-callers? I know foxpro is always being thrown around but which models, what sequence should you run.
I have an area where predators seem to have been on the rise the last few years. I find many carcass, legs, heads, ribs of turkey and deer that lead to a trail to a watering hole. Would you think there is a den close by or is it an ambush area? This is in the pines. There are lions and bears around this area, only have seen 1 bear.
How to you blend in, do you use a pop up blind, brush in, is it really neccessary? how long do you sit a stand?

·
Administrator
6,547 Posts
Most of the coyotes and foxes I have killed were in the morning, but that is mainly when I hunt them so don't draw any conclusions from that. I have never hunted at night. I prefer Foxpro over Icotec for e-callers, but those are the only two brands I have owned. For concealment, I wear a leafy suit and I usually stand up as opposed to sitting. My preferred weapon is a shotgun, although I want to try a handgun (45-70). Most stands are 20 to 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RK! What makes you think, hey this would be a good spot to call? I understand foxes have a certain terrain they like, rocky hills?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks RK! What makes you think, hey this would be a good spot to call? I understand foxes have a certain terrain they like, rocky hills?
I've done quite a bit of coyote hunting, and called in a fox or two accidentally. Haven't been too successful yet in AZ, but I've seen coyotes and had some come in almost every time I've gone out. If you're up my way anytime soon maybe we can meet up nd try for some coyotes.

I've always done best in mornings as opposed to evenings and midday, never hunted at night. I'll find out what my uncles favorite e-caller is and upload a link. He's killed 40+ coyotes so far this year with it. Mostly rabbit distress and mockingbird distress.

Good camo that blends with your local background is fairly important. 3D suits like rk said are good too. I use gloves and a face mask in addition to regular camouflage clothes to conceal my skin-colored hands and face.

·
Administrator
6,547 Posts
I don't usually rule out any spot, because both coyotes and foxes can be anywhere. There are both running around out in my daughter's area, and I have had foxes almost jump into my lap while calling coyotes.

And then there are bobcats! I have come close with bobcats a few times, but have yet to kill one.

Just keep in mind that foxes and bobcats (and badgers and coatis) are not in season all year, like coyotes are.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I've had success with ***** and foxes at night time. Cats. Well they are tough... coyotes one of the easiest to call and great practice. I haven't worn cammo (with exception of a free hat or two) I typically wear green/tan pants, red flannel in cooler weather, cathartic tan in cold, or solid shirt color somewhat matching the landscape. I am sure common has advantages. I just see the success my ancestors has without it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
In the desert area, I prefer to hunt mornings, only because it is cooler. Up North I have hunted both mornings, mid day, and evenings. I have had success in all three. I have a Fox Pro and an Alpha Dog by Primos, both are good. Coyotes and Fox are opportunity hunters and are a lot like us. They will hunt game where game is plentiful, and that will be in range of water. I have seen and heard of people using and not using camouflage, I prefer to use camouflage, just because I believe it blends in better with the surroundings. I usually set 20 to 30 minute for Coyotes. If I am looking for cats, you need to set longer, maybe up to and hour in some cases. The calling sequence is generally up to you, depending on the game in your area, dying Rabbit is a good way to start.

Good Luck Hunting. Predators can be fun and exciting.

6 Tips:
1. Call with the wind in your face or cross wind if possible.
2. Hide your vehicle and walk a good distance away from it.
3. Don't sky line yourself.
4. Be as stealthy as you can while approaching your area.
5. Sit with your back to a tree or brush, to break up your out line.
6. Start out calling a little softer at first.

·
Registered
608 Posts
In the desert area, I prefer to hunt mornings, only because it is cooler. Up North I have hunted both mornings, mid day, and evenings. I have had success in all three. I have a Fox Pro and an Alpha Dog by Primos, both are good. Coyotes and Fox are opportunity hunters and are a lot like us. They will hunt game where game is plentiful, and that will be in range of water. I have seen and heard of people using and not using camouflage, I prefer to use camouflage, just because I believe it blends in better with the surroundings. I usually set 20 to 30 minute for Coyotes. If I am looking for cats, you need to set longer, maybe up to and hour in some cases. The calling sequence is generally up to you, depending on the game in your area, dying Rabbit is a good way to start.

Good Luck Hunting. Predators can be fun and exciting.

6 Tips:
1. Call with the wind in your face or cross wind if possible.
2. Hide your vehicle and walk a good distance away from it.
3. Don't sky line yourself.
4. Be as stealthy as you can while approaching your area.
5. Sit with your back to a tree or brush, to break up your out line.
6. Start out calling a little softer at first.
These are all fantastic tips. Stuff I neglected to say. That's good to know about the length of duration on a stand for cats too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did the regulations change? raccoons were the only animal in AZ you could hunt at night and with an artificial light. Night vision, last time I looked is still not allowed.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the regulations change? raccoons were the only animal in AZ you could hunt at night and with an artificial light. Night vision, last time I looked is still not allowed.
There has been a daylong (24 hour) coyote season for a few years that I can remember. I thought they were split up into two, general and shotgun shooting shot. Page 66 of fall regs. I don't see racoon listed anymore? hmmmmm odly enough if you search daylong you only get 2 hits. page 65 and 66 for coyote. what happened

·
Registered
608 Posts
there are now daylong shooting hours (24 hours) for certain species. I think its actually only coyotes. I'll look right now.

EDIT:

Above is the regulation sections for furbearing species with Daylong (24 Hours) and Shotgun shooting Shot seasons. Interestingly, the only animal listed as being able to be hunted during night hours, as @khmer6 said, is coyote. Raccoons ARE NOT listed. (Don't accidentally hunt raccoons at night in Arizona, it now violates the game laws).

These are the regulations for furbearing species under Daylight (30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think I looked recently for night vision and it was still a no-no, will have to look again.

·
Registered
608 Posts

My uncle uses a LuckyDuck call. It's not what they call cheap... But it works

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have shot a lot of coyotes. But only started hunting them the last decade or so. I enjoy the calling as much as the shooting! And I like shooting!
I have tried E callers and prefer mouth calls. My most successful E sound is a recording I made of my Grand daughters kittens in a box. They were going the next day to be fixed, and screamed all night, So I caught about 15 min of that for the caller. I use it anywhere they may have heard domestic cats. around farms, dairys, etc...
I used to commute to work every day and would practice the mouth calls while driving.
I have to say, the skils that most help my success are being able to remain still, and being very aware of wind direction. In some stands I use more often I hang large feathers out to both act as decoys and show wind direction.
I have used cammo and hunted in a MAGA hat with equal success. If they don't see me move, they don't pay much attn.
When stand hunting I carry a water resistent pillow. It allows me to recline back and still keep my head up enough to see around without moving much. I have noticed that coyotes aren't as shy of things laying on the ground as they are those sitting or standing hight.
Even a little motion right on the ground doesn't seem to spook them as it would up higher.
And being down flat helps me be still.
I have shot coyotes at any time of the day or night. There just has to be something there that attracts them out! My best hunting times are mornings [dawn to about 10:am] and a couple hours before sun down till dark.
I'll watch this and add some more later. I think if you have found an area with bones and hair you are in a good spot. Good Luck DR

Reactions: Savageman2506
1 - 15 of 15 Posts