Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
My youngest girl has a tag for 42. Hope to tag her out this year. She missed a goodie 2 years ago in the spot I am heading, my guess was somewhere around 180. My hunting partner, his wife and their neighbors have tags for that unit too. I am taking my daughter off by ourselves for the opening weekend, then helping my partner with his 3 greenhorns for a few days after Nicole goes back to school. Should be an interesting time with the newbie's - and I will have mercy on them and not walk them till their legs cramp up and they lay down and cry.......:D

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Slim,

Quite the guy you are. LOL.

There is a way to do that anyway and keep them excited at the same time. just keep telling them you " see something" and need to take a closer look. That way you can cover the country you need to actually find something, and not have them get bummed about walking all day...

at least that works on the kids. LOL And when your able to show them soemthing around the 3rd or 4th spot they get real interested in the rest of the hunt that day,and dont realise they are tired and sore until they get back to camp... Then you explain to them that its a " good pain" LOL And go from there. for the rest of the hunt. LOL.. Has worked every time for me.

Shane

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll go out Friday morning and stay up on the mountain until about mid-day Saturday. Have a hunter coming in from back east on Sat that I have to pick up in Tucson. Hopefully I'll have my deer hanging so that I can devote full time to him getting a deer.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I used that method before Shane and my kids don't fall for it anymore. But nowadays they are willing to put in some miles. Also another thing with kids is to take hard candy, it gives their mouths something to do other than talk......:D

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Slim,

Your a genious,.. I never thought about hard candy.. :idea: Thats got to be better then what I have been doing.. :twisted: and its hard to find the cloth duct tape any more. :wink:

Chief,

Good luck with your hunts. I forgot you had a tag. Have a fellow and his youngster to find a couple of mulies in 32 for this next week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to be sitting under that oak I told you to sit under and kill myself a big ole 4x4. Probably the one that walked past ya when you were taking your mid-morning nap :lol: Only problem is that once I have him down not sure I can carry one out anymore...Got my frame out this morning and put it on and ran a mile with 45 pounds on it and it darn near killed me. Had to stop at the local watering hole and have a few brews just to make it back home.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Got to give you credit Chief for running. I don't run anymore even if something is chasing me. Nowadays a fast walk is about all I can muster - unless I see game, then I still have a 1/4 to 1/2 mile burst left in me, just not as speedy a burst as they used to be. I shuttle my game out now, pack my gear and gun/bow a few hundred yds, then go get the game and haul it up, then gear, then game until I get to where I can pull my outfit up and load it.

I will probably be down in your neck of the woods come Dec for a few days. Hopefully we can hook up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AzSlim said:
Got to give you credit Chief for running.
I run every morning, without fail, from the bed to the bathroom :lol: I was running anywhere from 5 to 7 miles a day but stopped doing that about two years ago. My wife keeps telling our friends "he is 66 Y.O. he thinks he's 26 Y.O." I tried telling that to a young lady at the local saloon last night - she didn't believe me, don't know why.....

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I used to do a lot of roller blading, no impact on my knees, was doing 50 to 75 miles a week but it has been a few years since I strapped them on. Will probably fall and bust something the next time I get on them.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I dont knwo Chief, I bet dragging a deer 200 yards or less back to your house is still well within your pervue. LOL.. Good luck on finding that big one. I bet he will look right nice next to the other European mounts on your wall.

Good luck,

Shane

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm guessing you had this guy picked out and patterned well before this morning. :wink: Nice buck...Congrats and I hope your visitor scores as well. :beer:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice

Nice Buck there Chief, Man you ARE the Man! Love the picture. Are you going to have it mounted?
Good luck on your other Hunt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, been watching him for a while, was actually hoping that Coues84 would have got him when he was up here archery hunting. I left the house at 0545 and was on a rocky outcropping looking down into a dry wash and an oak cluttered hillside by 0600. Picked up a small spike and fork coming up the wash and heading into the oaks, thought that I would take the fork as all I wanted was something for the freezer. I could never line up on either one of them as they were in and out of shrubs and oaks constantly. The fork finally decided he found his spot to spend the morning and laid up under a manzanita. I lost track of the spike and never did see him again. I was wonder where the 4x4 was as I had been seeing him on a regular basis in this general area and had not seen these two guys before, go figure. I got the spotting scope out and was trying to pick out a good shooting lane when I noticed some movement off to the side of the fork, figured it was the spike and didn't give it a whole hellva lot of thought. The fork jumped up and started moving up the hill, thought I had better put him down before he is hidden in the bushes, gave one quick look to the left of the manzanita and there HE was and that is were he died. About 300 yards, one shot, Ruger #1, 25.06, 117grain Nosler Partition, 39gr IMR 4320 at about 2800fps on my crony.

Don't know where you guys hunted today but it was hot as heck down here. I was soaking wet when I got home. As luck would have it my son and his buddy were visiting when I got home. They hung him, skinned him, butchered him and wrapped him. All except the backstrap which they said was going on the grill, so in about an hour or so we are going to have some fresh venison, some baked tatters and a good bottle of wine, or maybe two.

Don't think I'll have him mounted, didn't score him but will probably only go in the high 70's, maybe low 80's. He does have a nice spread and is fairly high, picture doesn't do him justice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good eating last night and we didn't drink two bottles of wine, think it was more like 3 or maybe even 4 :D

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Chief,

Congrats!! Not a thing wrong with having deer patterened from your back porch. LOL

And I take it this means the big guy is still there for me to chase in Dec.. LOL>. Of course come Dec. The first thing with antlers will catch an arrow. And I will air the pins out if I have to then. LAst couple of days of the season mean its fill the freezer or bust. And tag soup is getting old.

Again congrats on filling the tag, Thats a nice little coues. And I bet the back strap was quite tasty. especially over mesquite.

Shane

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Things ain't going as planned! We started "part 2" of the Nov hunt last Sunday, we hunted all day and saw absolutly nothing. Monday all we saw were does, and one small buck. I'm taking today off to rest my ailing back but my buddy is up on the hillside looking. I'll hit it again tomorrow morning, if he doesn't kill one today, and hopefully will have some pictures for ya'll.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts