November Wild Game Recipe - Deer Liver with Balsamic Vinegar

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by Chief, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief Guest

Kinda hard to come up with anything that beats just plan ole grilled liver and onions and I'm not saying this one does but it is just a tad different.

Ingredients:
    1 Tablespoon flour
    1/2 Teaspoon finely chopped sage
    4 Thin slices of deer liver
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    2 Tablespoons butter
    2 Small red onions, sliced and separated into rings
    2/3 Cup dry red wine
    3 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
    Pinch of sugar, salt and freshly ground black pepper to your liking

Pour yourself a glass of a good dark red wine to enjoy while you put this all together.

1. Spread out the flour in a shallow bowl, season it with the sage and salt and pepper. Insure that the liver is well coated on both sides.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil with half of the butter in a wide heavy saucepan/frying pan until foaming. Add the onion rings and cook gently, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until softened but not colored. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

3. Heat the remaining oil and butter in the pan until foaming, add the liver and cook over medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes each side. Transfer to heated dinner plates and keep hot.

4. Add the wine and vinegar to the pan then stir to mix with the pan juices and any sediment. Add the onions and sugar stir and heat through. Spoon the sauce over the liver and serve immediately.

Last time we had this I grilled some asparagus coated with butter, olive oil and garlic, just before taking them off the grill I sprinked some parmesan cheese on them. This makes a great side dish to go along with the venison liver. Pour yourself another glass of wine and enjoy.

Tip: NEVER overcook liver. It's delicate flesh is at its best when it is served slightly underdone and pink - like a good rare steak.