Odd question

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by DutchmanAZ, Jul 28, 2006.

1. I've always heard that desert mulies always taste relatively nasty when compared to something harvested in the high country. Is there any truth to that? I've had people tell me not to even bother with the desert deer because of this.
    If so, what do you do with the meat - grind it all up for sausage?
    Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Depends on how you take care of the meat. If you don't cool it off then it gets real gamey. If you use my ice bottle method it turns out great.

3. Dutchman, that is the biggest crock. Care of the animal and getting it cooled down and clean are the most important thing in game flavor. I've had deer from 7000 thousand foot elevation in New Mexico thrown in the freezer with desert muleys from Tonopah and you couldn't tell the difference in taste. If you don't take care of it, none of it is going to be good to eat.

Get it gutted, cleaned, cooled down. Don't allow the scent glands to come in contact with the meat. We get the skin off ASAP. Something I see people do and it can start meat sour quickly in warmer weather is leave the windpipe in. Do those things and it should be great eating.

One other thing, we butcher our own deer so we can nit pick the cleanliness. It does make a difference.

4. Thanks guys.

That's good to hear. I figured it was the lack of care after harvesting that made it taste bad.

5. Many people believe that the taste of deer meat is determined by the diet of the deer before being shot. This really has very little to do with flavor.
    The two biggest factors are how the deer died, i.e. quick kill, how much and quickly it bled out, etc. and care for the creature once the kill has been made.

6. Is it best to bleed them out right away after the kill. ie cutting the throat. I have heard mixed things about this.

7. I was taught to do this too, although I no longer do. I've found I get very little bleeding by cutting the throat because the heart is no longer functioning to pump the blood out. I simply field dress, making sure I get all the wind pipe out that I can. I get the rest of it after skinning.
    I'm sure this may go against the grain of some of you, but to each their own. I've never had a bad tasting animal. I agree with the comments above and believe proper field care and carcass cooling are the critical first steps.

8. I've had some good meat, and some not so good meat from this part of the country. All of the not so good meat was me learning how to take care of it. Thanksfully I'm a quick learner.

I have had mulies where the fat was tinted green and smelled of creasote so bad I was really conscerned. That was taking the hide off within 3 mninutes of it going down. Got it skinned and in the cooler. and the meat was fine. However we did take the fat off, and got as much of everything but pure meat out before we put it in the cooler. Then let it age a couple of days in the cooler then package it and straight to the freezer. was about the best venison I have ever had aside from elk. LOL.. that was a 4-5 year old buck also.

9. I was worried about the deer I got last Saturday. Shot it first thing in the AM, riight around sunrise. Got it field dressed,
    dragged back to the Jeep and put two frozen water jugs of ice in the carcass. Short drive back to town and had it hanging in the carport for skinning and cutting. My concern was leaving the cut pieces in ice chests until I could get it all cut, cleaned, and bagged. It took me three evenings to get it all done. My first time butchering and I know I wasted a lot of meat that could have made some sasusage. Oh well, you live and learn.
    It's all in the freezer now.