OK - I need a mentor

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by Desert Rat, Apr 28, 2007.

1. My goal this year is to get a deer. OTC Archery is fine, but I want to put in for the draw too. I need a mentor - I'm not too proud to say it. Someone who could even tag along for a day to give me some pointers.

Looking for some draw suggestions. My "wish list" is as follows:

Am more interested in success than trophies

Muley or Coues - don't care.

Need to draw a Unit that I can commute to. I have to be home each night to help my wife.

Let the recommendations begin! (and thanks)

2. Unit 22. Have either muley or coues, close enough to commute I think.

Ron

3. Chief

Chief Guest

If you put in for 35a (rifle), probably a 3 hour drive for you, and get drawn I could almost guarantee you a very respectable coues, if you have the time to hunt every day or at least every other day. If thats to far to drive I could drive to the area you want to hunt in and help.

4. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Maybe that Creed fellar will offer up one of his honey-holes. He's taken some nice deer out of his unit and has a few blinds over water you could probably sit.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  5. So I'm thinking 35A Coues in the fall with Chief, and 42 Archery mulie in January with creed..... that sounds good to me :)

Chief - I drew 34A last year - I'll put that down as choice#2

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  6. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

One thing I can tell you. Honey-holes and tips are getting harder to come by. If Creed extends an invitation to you in January, guaranteed you will "see" some great bucks. Getting close enough to arrow one will be a task that only you can make happen. Get to practicing on that bow...

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  7. Of course - anyone who takes me out has the potential to end up in an article somewhere (if they do a good job) hehehehe

8. I'm new here too, but have hunted for 42 years form Vermont to Colorado. I've started scouting for OTC bow this year. The later season in units 41 and 42 interest me. Seems to be some good bucks there. Little sign of other hunters too. If you'd like to get together we could talk.
    Mark

9. I wouldn't be counting too much on the desert units. If BLM & FS get their way, and it looks like they are going to, access will be about non-existant.

10. Will they let you walk? How about back packing? I'm pretty good at it. Limited access usually means better hunting.
    Mark