Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal this year is to get a deer. OTC Archery is fine, but I want to put in for the draw too. I need a mentor - I'm not too proud to say it. Someone who could even tag along for a day to give me some pointers.

Looking for some draw suggestions. My "wish list" is as follows:

Am more interested in success than trophies

Muley or Coues - don't care.

Need to draw a Unit that I can commute to. I have to be home each night to help my wife.

Let the recommendations begin! (and thanks)

G

·
If you put in for 35a (rifle), probably a 3 hour drive for you, and get drawn I could almost guarantee you a very respectable coues, if you have the time to hunt every day or at least every other day. If thats to far to drive I could drive to the area you want to hunt in and help.

·
Administrator
6,635 Posts
Maybe that Creed fellar will offer up one of his honey-holes. He's taken some nice deer out of his unit and has a few blinds over water you could probably sit.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So I'm thinking 35A Coues in the fall with Chief, and 42 Archery mulie in January with creed..... that sounds good to me :)

Chief - I drew 34A last year - I'll put that down as choice#2

·
Administrator
6,635 Posts
One thing I can tell you. Honey-holes and tips are getting harder to come by. If Creed extends an invitation to you in January, guaranteed you will "see" some great bucks. Getting close enough to arrow one will be a task that only you can make happen. Get to practicing on that bow...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course - anyone who takes me out has the potential to end up in an article somewhere (if they do a good job) hehehehe

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm new here too, but have hunted for 42 years form Vermont to Colorado. I've started scouting for OTC bow this year. The later season in units 41 and 42 interest me. Seems to be some good bucks there. Little sign of other hunters too. If you'd like to get together we could talk.
Mark

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I wouldn't be counting too much on the desert units. If BLM & FS get their way, and it looks like they are going to, access will be about non-existant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I spend one day a weekend with a 25 to 35 pound pack hiking just to remember what it's like. It's easy to find that much to put in it because my girlfriend carries the fig newtons and sunscreen and I get the water etc. etc. She's says it's important I stay strong and she's just helping. What a girl!
Mark

·
Registered
131 Posts
Desert Rat,
Please excuse me a minute while I talk to someone else here.

Maybe that Creed fellar will offer up one of his honey-holes in Unit 42. He's taken some great deer out of that Unit and has a few blinds over water you could sit.
Dan, did you and Creed start up a guide service? I just talked to Bruce tonight and he didn't mention it to me.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's just like anything else.... Creed hasn't been by in awhile...

When you don't go to the meeting, you're the one that gets volunteered for everything :)

·
Administrator
6,635 Posts
I know that Bruce is frustrated with the recent (and projected) development in one of his favorite units. Sad, but some of his favorite water catchments are going to be someone's driveway next year. The rest will probably be foot access only and I doubt he'll give those honey-holes away, invitation or not. I'd sure hate to arrow a buck there and have it expire in someone's back yard. The clock is ticking against hunting in a big portion of Unit 42.

G

·
Desert Rat, be glad to have you come on down this way. If you put in for 35a, depending on your schedule I would recommed Dec - Nov - Oct.

As Dan said about unit 42, the same goes for down here. More and more housing on the east slope of the Huachuca's, sad part is that most new home buyers are from the "left" coast and as they buy the "No Hunting" "No Trespassing" sign is quickly hung out. Although our property borders the National Forest in the back we now have two new houses going up on both sides of our place. Both right on the edge of the forest which means no hunting within that 500 yard zone and both look down into a nice little ravine which is home to many coues. One of the two new owners has already told me he/she are anti-gun and anti-hunting haven't had the chance to talk to the other owner yet. This may be the last year I get to hunt in an area that I have hunted in for the past 30 years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Desert Rat
Unit 37B is another possiblity. I hunt quail down there and always see big mulies. Saw a 4x4 that I could have arrowed at 25 yards. Caught him snoozin. Anyway that will be my 3rd choice this year. It has some big deer. I seem to see them in the same area evertime I'm there. And it's close to us. little more than an hour drive....

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm... that's an idea too. I've seen some big mulies that came out of 37B, but have personally only seen does while hunting... and those were over by Dudleyville. I did find a big shed less than a half hour from my house... hmmmm

Would you be interested in doing some archery hunts, too Kevin (in 37B)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts