Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Osage Orange stave transformation. (Hedge hog)

5K views 75 replies 16 participants last post by  RickWild 
#1 ·
A friend gave me this stave. Took the bark off yesterday.
Plant Road surface Asphalt Tar Wood

See less See more
Discussion starter · #12 ·
“Hedge Hog”??? Hog???? Hope the giver wasn’t offended by that label. Known as Hedge Apple, Horse Apple, Bodock, and bois d’arc.
But not HOG, especially by anyone who has ever been around them.
Welp, what can I say. My brain was not working so well when I came up with”hog”. Certainly meant Apple. Maybe it was that sip of bourbon I had. Thanks fellas for straightening me out.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
View attachment 32463
Really? My writing mistake means this bow must be named The Osage Hog. Very original.
This is only my second stave adventure. Great weekend. Made more progress than ever have in 2 days. Learning how to better use the drawknife and less use of the scrapper.So much faster with the drawknife but uhhhhh so easy to screw up.
I need to get back to the mesquite. Osage is so nice to work with but….

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Worn out this morning. 2 hours of difficult hiking then an hour at the Osage. I have it down to the same growth ring full length. Now to draw my design on the back. It wiggles around a bit so will be taking my time with the design.
Motor vehicle Gas Market City Wood

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Decided to take a break from the mesquite to work on this one. So much easier to work with, and in short time, progress jumps right out at you. Now it is looking like a longbow. I’m shooting for about 60” long. Wanted 66 but had to remove a mistake I made near a tip. Dang it.
Textile Automotive design Tool Engineering Machine
Automotive design Flooring Floor Gas Motor vehicle

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I can’t put a value on one at this point, each time I try to track my time I forget. And since I am such a rookie it’s taking me much longer than those folks than can whip one out in a weekend.
Poundage is based on the thickness of the limbs so 60 pounds can be reduced to 55 or 45. Whatever. Only depends on what you want and if the maker is careful.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Update. Today I took lots off the sides so it now looks close to a longbow and will be floor tillered soon BUT now I must heat treat it and get out the propeller twisting than add some deflex into the limbs.
Automotive tire Gas Composite material Wood Motor vehicle

You can see this near end bends way right. Got to fix that, get the tips aligned with the handle. Steam coming up

Discussion starter · #39 ·
RickyG and Bearfoot1, get me an Osage orange or a yew stave and I’ll get your bow started. If you’re new bow shoots well then you can buy me a stave for my labor.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Welp, back to this bow. Limbs got some twist in them so I’m attempting to steam one limb at a time then clamp to my cull to straighten things out, one limb at a time. And while I’m at it I’ll try to add some reflex. And using a hillbilly steamer ta boot
Pipeline transport Automotive tire Cylinder Gas Fender
Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Font Bumper
Paint Gas Electrical wiring Automotive tire Household supply

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Welp, life gets in the way and makes it difficult to keep at it. Besides, several flaws in the wood appeared, causing more disappointment, worm damage 4” from the top and on the edge. Hoping i can work around it.
Wood Flooring Tints and shades Hardwood Wood stain