Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Osage Orange stave transformation. (Hedge hog)

5K views 75 replies 16 participants last post by  RickWild 
#1 ·
A friend gave me this stave. Took the bark off yesterday.
Plant Road surface Asphalt Tar Wood

See less See more
#10 ·
Osage trees were/are used in most hedge rows along roads and pasture dividing lines in plains states, especially Kansas etc. They have nasty thorns and grow together to provide “ fencing” for livestock. The fruit, which has a bunch of names but I always knew it as hedge apple is not edible.

Reactions: Savageman2506
#24 ·
View attachment 32463
Really? My writing mistake means this bow must be named The Osage Hog. Very original.
This is only my second stave adventure. Great weekend. Made more progress than ever have in 2 days. Learning how to better use the drawknife and less use of the scrapper.So much faster with the drawknife but uhhhhh so easy to screw up.
I need to get back to the mesquite. Osage is so nice to work with but….

#25 ·
Hey Rick. Any evidence of silica in this stave? We used to cut Osage Orange (Oklahomans call them horse apples) all the time and the silica would play havoc on any blade we were using.

#32 ·
Decided to take a break from the mesquite to work on this one. So much easier to work with, and in short time, progress jumps right out at you. Now it is looking like a longbow. I’m shooting for about 60” long. Wanted 66 but had to remove a mistake I made near a tip. Dang it.
Textile Automotive design Tool Engineering Machine
Automotive design Flooring Floor Gas Motor vehicle