Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Osage Orange stave transformation. (Hedge hog)

5K views 75 replies 16 participants last post by  RickWild 
#1 ·
A friend gave me this stave. Took the bark off yesterday.
Plant Road surface Asphalt Tar Wood

See less See more
#36 ·
Rick, Dumb Question, How much is a hand made long bow worth ? How many hours from start to finish if you can estimate ? How do you estimate poundage on a stick bow ? , I know extras like Rattle Tail backing is alot more time along with Turquoise inlays- HA.

So the reason I ask, is I sold all my bowhunting gear except for my back up bow and accessories, Thinking of taking up Stick Bow hunting cause I can go slower and it wont bother me to go slow.

#37 ·
I can’t put a value on one at this point, each time I try to track my time I forget. And since I am such a rookie it’s taking me much longer than those folks than can whip one out in a weekend.
Poundage is based on the thickness of the limbs so 60 pounds can be reduced to 55 or 45. Whatever. Only depends on what you want and if the maker is careful.

#38 ·
Update. Today I took lots off the sides so it now looks close to a longbow and will be floor tillered soon BUT now I must heat treat it and get out the propeller twisting than add some deflex into the limbs.
Automotive tire Gas Composite material Wood Motor vehicle

You can see this near end bends way right. Got to fix that, get the tips aligned with the handle. Steam coming up

#50 ·
Welp again, the bow held very little of the deflex I tried for once off the bull. Been tillering and getting the limbs thinner tge last week. I also made a new cull with more deflection in it. Did the steaming thing on one end this morning and it was so much easier to tighten the clamps, bending the more pliable limbs
And another will goes by.

#54 ·
Interestingly, I purchase my first stave, telling the vendor it was my first. So he sent the perfect stave, no knots, twists, insect damage. I carved it out and shot it. Now I’m dealing with “the other wood”. Which requires bending and straightening and defect filling.
So, ask for a good one when you first start. Tell them you are a beginner

#55 ·
It is getting a nice bend.
Light Wood Lighting Shade Line

Then after after this photo I put it in the vice to shave a little more and found a crack running from the belly into one side. It will definitely break at that point I’ll try some super glue in trying to save this bow.
So many issues with the stave, I think between the age of it when I received it plus me taking longer than I should with it stored in my hot garage is enough to dry this thing out. I have started to seal it each time i work on it but probably should have started that right away.

#56 ·
It is getting a nice bend.
View attachment 33506
Then after after this photo I put it in the vice to shave a little more and found a crack running from the belly into one side. It will definitely break at that point I’ll try some super glue in trying to save this bow.
So many issues with the stave, I think between the age of it when I received it plus me taking longer than I should with it stored in my hot garage is enough to dry this thing out. I have started to seal it each time i work on it but probably should have started that right away.
Do you use your stringer to tiller, or a dedicated tillering string?