Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. New to this board and somewhat new to hunting all together. I started last year with dove and quail and want to try to get a turkey this year with my bow I purchased a few months ago. So I went out scouting for OTC turkey and I couldnt find or even hear a gobble. Found everything else like elk,dear, squirrel but no turkeys. What are some scouting tips for turkeys that you use to help you locate them? Or some good starting points for 6A?

·
Super Moderator
2,846 Posts
Welcome to AHF, please go to the welcome and orientation sub forum and introduce yourself / give a short bio.

·
Administrator
6,498 Posts
Welcome to AHF!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hello everyone. New to this board and somewhat new to hunting all together. I started last year with dove and quail and want to try to get a turkey this year with my bow I purchased a few months ago. So I went out scouting for OTC turkey and I couldnt find or even hear a gobble. Found everything else like elk,dear, squirrel but no turkeys. What are some scouting tips for turkeys that you use to help you locate them? Or some good starting points for 6A?
Welcome! As Jim said, go on over and introduce yourself.

I've never hunted turkeys or 6A, so I'm watching this thread to learn just like you are 😂 . Plenty of members on here with experience, but they'll all tell you the same thing. Get out, put boots in dirt, and find em!

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
Welcome to ahf! Best advice I got coming from an 0 for 3 turkey attempter is you'll never hike/run fast enough to catch them on the run

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
Welcome to AHF!

A couple of places to start. No. 1 would be the search feature at the top of the page and put in turkey or anything you can think of related to turkey hunting. Several of us have written books here on what to look for, where to hunt and where they might be.

No. 2 is go to the Game and Fish Web Page and Hunting, then Where to Hunt and then look up your unit. There will be plenty of info in both places.

After you have read all of that try driving roads right after dark. Get out every half mile or so and use a coyote, owl or predator call for a short blast. You might get a shock gobble back after they have roosted. The likelyhood of them coming to you in the morning depends upon how the hens feel about it. Likely they will go the other way.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Welcome to AHF !!! Ask Lynn about turkeys, hes the OLD pro on whacking them !!!

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
Welcome to AHF !!! Ask Lynn about turkeys, hes the OLD pro on whacking them !!!
LOL. My wife says "the turkey magnet":.

And I won't argue the "old".

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
I will add this. My years of experience with turkey has been reading the sign. Toms love powder. They love to strut, wing drag, and drum in open places where they can be seen by hens. That is usually old, forgotten two-tracks with powder on the road. Don't ask me why but it seems to be their thing, and their "tell". They leave wing drags and tracks (Toms have a longer middle toe). You will find areas along the road where the hens have been scratching and digging for mast and grubs. Toms are full of testosterone and will do anything to be recognized by the hens. If the roost trees are within sight of a strut zone, and that can, in many times be an open road, the Toms will be there when the sun comes up.

Reactions: Savageman2506

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
LYNN, An Old Tom Talking about " OLD TOMS", Kinda ironic dont you think ??? Just Kidding, HAHA !!!

I give all my Good friends BS, If you aint gettin it from me, Look Out !!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
OTC= Really effing hard! I’ve given it a go, but couldn’t relocate the Toms after the youth and general tags came though ahead me last year! You will want a call that will carry such as a copper pot in the mountains. If you can get one within range say with a hen deke, I recommend a raspy mouth call. It can be done though as evidenced here:

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
The box call, and a longer (length) model works well to carry over a distance. A long time ago an old turkey hunter in Kansas told me that to get over the winds you need a good box call. I was not hunting turkey then but that stuck with me. Some years later I watched a TV hunting show and the guy on that was hunting Kansas and recommended a longer box call because of wind noise.

Turkey have very good hearing and you would be surprised what they do hear. I was setting out decoys a few weeks ago and a box call I had in my pocket "chirped" quietly as I moved. Four Toms, one of which became a tag filler gobbled back. I almost could not hear the call myself.

Reactions: bearfoot1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts