Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Peaks Unit 7E

Tags
elk
6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Ramspeed 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I drew the archery peaks unit tag and have been up scouting a few weekends so far. Shamelessly asking here if anyone would be willing to share their experience in this unit. Anything welcome. Particularly the non-proprietary info like what the hiker/biker traffic is like in the unit in early fall, gear I should bring that I wouldn't think to bring, etc.

Cheers,
Scott

#2 ·
Peaks are a bit off the beaten path for bikes so likely more hikers than bikers and far fewer trails on the peaks vs. Elden. I know G&F doesn't want Elk on the peaks because they destroy aspen shoots. That being said, no fresh shoots in the fall. Probably decent glassing in the Shultz burn but you wont be the only person with that idea. If it was my tag, if it is warm stay high if its cold stay low. Check the springs.

#4 ·
Hi all,

I drew the archery peaks unit tag and have been up scouting a few weekends so far. Shamelessly asking here if anyone would be willing to share their experience in this unit. Anything welcome. Particularly the non-proprietary info like what the hiker/biker traffic is like in the unit in early fall, gear I should bring that I wouldn't think to bring, etc.

Cheers,
Scott
Like many have said there are not many hikers or bikers in this area that I have experienced. I also got an archery tag for early bull. And I was up there last November with a late archery bull tag. Unfortunately, I only had 2 days so I only saw 1 bull last season. It was at 100 yards. There is a lot of steep hills and lots of broken down trees.

#6 ·
Thanks all, yea I have been impressed with the amount of blowdowns I've seen while scouting. I'm looking at Trekking poles right now--I've done about 22 miles and roughly 6k vertical feet in the two trips I've taken up there so far and have definitely seen a few other hunters out scouting.

Appreciate the insight since I have seen a ton of traffic on the roads and at the trailheads. Any word on whether gear is safe at camp or should I be extra careful leaving stuff in a tent while I bivy etc?

Thanks again all, really appreciate it!

#7 ·
Hi all,

Cheers,
Scott
On the east and north side you will find leas hikers or bike traffic than on the south side(Schultz Pass Road). I drive the roads around the east/north side quite often as I have a place in the area and regularly see good numbers of elk in the Schultz burn. Surprisingly, the roads are not that crowded for being so close to Flagstaff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.