Peep Sights

Discussion in 'Archers Lodge' started by Friz95, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Friz95

Friz95 Guest

Do those of you who use a peep sight have them put on at your discretion or did they come with the set-up and you grew accustom to it?
    I had one put on this year and I hate the damn thing. Everyone was telling me how much better I would shoot if I put one on. Well, let me be honest here..
    I missed a BLOCK target completely at 15 yards the other day and sent the arrow into my fence. Now I don't mind missing once in a while, but arrows are a little to expensive to be missing your target at 15 yards. If I decide to take this peep sight off, can I do it myself or should I take it back to the dealer and have them remove it for me? It has the rubber alignment tube if that makes a difference on doing it myself or not.
    Thanks for any advice, help, sarcasim, laughter........................................................

2. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Friz, sounds like the peep was incorrectly installed to me. Take your bow back to where ever you had it done and insist that they re-do it. When you draw your bow and settle in with it, you shouldn't have to hunt your eye into the peep, your eye should fall instantly and precisely into the peep.

Do you also use a kisser button? Some will say that's superfluous and totally unnecessary, but others will tell you that ain't necessarily so. IMO, there's never enough reference on a bow to be sure you're dialed-in when at full draw.

3. Depending on the size of your head the peep should be somewhere around 5" above the nocking point. For me the center is 5 1/8" above my top nock button, I have 2 on my bow. And yes they help immensely with accuracy if set up correctly.

4. I tried a peep once, then took it off and threw it away....
    Why do you need a peep? Are you shooting targets or hunting?
    The reason I ask is, I know of several people that have missed animals because of;
    1) moisture (rain) being in the hole of the peep.
    2) peeps limit shooting time, dim light conditions.
    3) peep turned when bow was fully drawn.

I think it really boils down to what you want for a reference point, so that when you draw, you anchor the same place every time. This can be done a number of ways, the more the better, as long as they dont hinder you in any way.
    Anchor on yer face and use that every time until it becomes habit.
    Use a kisser button, this will be sufficient for hunting, and it will become second nature after practicing for a while.
    Hope this helps.

5. I used to shoot off the string, same lock point every time then I would line the pin against the string and shoot. It worked pretty good for me, a kisser button probably would have helped even more. I now use a peep on winners choice string no rubber tubing and my groups are much better. I have never had a problem with it being turned when drawn. I dont think I would go back to no peep personally but it can be done,

Ron

6. Friz95

Friz95 Guest

Thanks guys, I think I am going to go back to shooting without the peep. I use a kisser button anyway and I am just more comfortable without the peep. I wanted to try it to see if it helped at all ( it didn't for me). It goes to show you everyone likes their toys set up a little different.

7. i do

yes i do use a peep sight mine is Radic latex tubing pink in color and its going on my new bow also lol hey what can i say i bought it right out from under my bowtech guy lmao he dont care lmao i dont think i cant learn to use my bow without a peep

8. I thought about serving some dental floss on my string and using it to line up my pin as an alternative to a peep. Just never followed thru with it. I think it would work.

9. lol

that would work? never thought of that umm good idea i could use that in hunter ed class thanks

10. Don't know if it would work because I never went past the idea stage. But I think it would. Let me know if you try it.