Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Picked up a couple of calls....

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Photoshot 
#1 ·
Bought a hand caller by Call Masters called Scream-n-howler that came with a CD.
Interesting to listen to it and I have a long way to go to sound remotely like the guy on the CD :?
Sure perks up the dogs when I blow on it though :twisted:

Also picked up an electronic caller for 20 bucks by Predator at Sportsmans. Runs on AA batteries and has jack rabbit, cotton tai and fawn distress sounds, as well as a coyote howl and pup yips. Don't know if it'll work or not but hope to
give it a try this weekend if I can get out. I hope to come up with some sort of decoy that will move in the wind...not
quite sure what to use yet.

Anyone have any call recommendations (brands/types, etc)? I'll stick with hand calls for a while - don't have the big $$ necessary for the Foxpro type calls right now.

#2 ·
Dutchman,

For a decoy, I used to have a rabbit skin. Its long gone now and I have never replaced it ( its on the todo list). But worked pretty well when I had it. I picked it up at a leather shop. Bet you could probably get one for $20 or less. Or even a piece of scrap. If you hit the right leather shop especially one where they work on leather you might find a scrap just for the price of taking it off of their hands. dosent have to be real big just look somewhat like fur.. LOL>. easy enough if its real. Anything bigger then 4x4 should work just fine. I would bet. Run a piece of string through it and hang it on a limb.

Good luck with the calls.

Shane

G
#3 ·
DutchmanAZ said:
I'll stick with hand calls for a while - don't have the big $$ necessary for the Foxpro type calls right now.
Ron, I don't have big $$ for an e- caller I put one together my self for under $65.00. I think anyone could do it for less, But I spent a little more on the MP3. I think that cost $45. you can get them for less, maybe $20.00. I could show you what you need. I am just getting in to it ( hopefuly more this year). I like the hand call myself. (still havn't connected with a Coyote yet ).

G
#4 ·
Cheap E-Caller

Here you go Dutchman. Cheap E-Caller . There is a draw back. No Remote. You have to load your calls can get them free on the internet. For $200 -$300 Cheaper. I am not Knocking the others and if I could I would buy The FoxPro myself.

G
#5 ·
If'n you know anybody that has chickens chicken feathers work real well. Thread a 10 lb fishing line thru the quills and suspend them in a low hanging tree branch. I have a few turkey feather and they work just as good. Anything that takes the coyotes attention off of you and places it elsewhere is a plus. E-callers are good for when you are hunting alone and one that works off a remote is even better. I primarily use my FoxPro but still enjoy a hand caller at times, also use them in conjunction with the FoxPro.

G
#6 ·
DutchmanAZ said:
Bought a hand caller by Call Masters called Scream-n-howler that came with a CD.
Interesting to listen to it and I have a long way to go to sound remotely like the guy on the CD :?
Ron, don't sell yourself short on your ability to call like the "Pro". Just about any sound you make with a distress call will get the attention of any coyote in the area. Your dogs have already shown you that they are interested in the sounds you are making and any coyote within earshot will also respond.

As far as making your own e-caller I would suggest that if you do, program it so that it is silent for the first minute or two after you turn it on. This will allow you to set it out 30 or 40 yards in front of you and still allow sufficient time for you to get back before it starts squawking. Also if possible set it up off the ground, on a rock or suspended from a bush/tree limb with the feathers dangling in the breeze. If there is a coyote in the area it will respond.

G
#7 ·
Another option for a caller is one of those cheaper boom boxes. Some of those come with remotes. Cassette tapes run about 10 bucks each. I agree with Chief. Your dogs are a pretty good indicator. Sounds like your on the right track. Using mouth calls is not all that hard. Just remember that you don't need to blow very hard. You don't have to blast it out there. Coyotes have very good hearing. If your interested in any chicken feathers? I have a coop full of them. Have fun, enjoy, and coyotes aren't the only ones that come to calls. So protect you back. Sure hope that you can give it a try this weekend. Let us know what happens. One more thing. My mom was the Texan. I'm proud to say that, I was born and raise right here in Good ole Arizona. :) My wife loved that picture.

#9 ·
Hey Dutchman,

I also have a home made caller but I rarely ever use it. I did call in my first and only bobcat with it a couple winters ago though. That was a blast!! Here is a field photo and the mount photo.

As far as suggestions for calls go, Most every call I use is a Primos call. I have been wearing the heck out of the Randy Anderson series calls. You can get them in a package with a DVD that tells you how to use them and what the sounds depict. I typically start out with a greeting howl on the Hot Dog call. I then move onto a jackrabbit or cottontail distress. I REALLY like the Ki Yi call. It is awesome. You can make so many different sounds with it. If you really practice with it you can make just about any sound you want with it. I am trying to learn how to get the bird in distress out of it. The best thing about the Ki Yi is when you call in multiples. Shoot the first one and then blow the pup in distress call on the Ki Yi and 9 times out of 10 the others will at least stop and present a chance at a double.

Those are the calls that I would suggest. There are tons more out there and I am sure that they are good as well. I think the biggest key is to present those dogs with a sound that they have never heard before.

Oh yeah, as far as a decoy goes, a feather will work great. I use the Whirling Woodpecker decoy as well. I think it was only $15 or so. I can't remember where I got it, but I will find out and let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.