When hunting/stalking your quarry, should you place yourself...

1. Downwind

100.0%
  2. Upwind

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

An interesting debate came up on another forum and I thought I would bring it over here to Poll the results.

You may want to refer to a dictionary before casting your vote. Discussions are welcomed.

2. Thats a no brainer.

But only if you know the definitions I guess.

3. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

And what are the Definitions? I am lazy and don't have time to look this stuff up. :lol:

4. Chief

Chief Guest

Down here it doesn't matter, if'n your downwind it'll change in the next minute or so, likewise if'n your upwind. :D However I do know the difference and probably voted like Shane did.

5. AZ~ThunderDan

LoL Chief. I enjoy your sense of humor... always centers on the truth.

I find it quite interesting just how many of us have varying opinions on what upwind and downwind really means, purely by their definition, and, how it applies to hunting.

Upwind: in the direction from which it is blowing: The hunters stalked upwind.

Downwind: in the direction toward which the wind is blowing: The lion was running downwind of us and caught our scent.

Any one want to change their vote? Seems to me that the polled majority is incorrect?

Me... I try to hunt upwind, unless of course, the winds are changing.

6. rk

rk Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

In order to stalk upwind (in the direction from which the wind is blowing), you must first "place yourself" downwind from where you want to stalk to. So the answer to the question, as it is worded, is downwind.

7. AZ~ThunderDan

Good point rk. When I stalk/hunt, and have spotted the animal I am pursuing, hopefully my position began at a location that was downwind of said animal, and I can progressively work upwind to seal the deal.

This is definitely a mind twisting subject, unless of course, you have first determined the wind direction, the location of the animal relative to the wind, and your own current location, relative to the wind.

Perhaps I have should have worded the Poll question differently, giving the relativity of the wind and, a specific scenario.

I tend to think that we all know how to use the wind while hunting. What I think most of us don't know, is how to understand/define what it means when discussing upwind/downwind.

Hopefully, some here have learned the difference.

8. Get a long range, flat shooting rifle and forget the wind.