Powder coated bullets

Discussion in 'Community Campfire' started by Codlew, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Has anyone reloaded the coated lead bullets? I got a bunch if 115 gr 9mm bullets imma try out and was wondering if anyone else has tried them?

az-jim likes this.
  2. Yup. Me an azjim do powder coating. Shake and bake with black bb's method. Push them pretty hard in different calibers including rifle and 500SW. I found certain powders coat better than others and are more forgiven. For example theres a blue one I got from powderby the pound. I can half ass it and the powder will flow to get good coverage. If I try that with harbor freight or some other powders I have it's speckled

az-jim likes this.

3. Do you load them the same as regular lead bullets? I have read a number of different opinions on this but was hoping for some first hand knowledge.

az-jim likes this.
  4. i load them towards plated/jacketed territory. start low and check for pressure. the ogive might be a little further forward as well. so you may find yourself loading slightly shorter, not by much. give them the smash test, find hard ground, and smash it with a hammer, coating should stay on likes its bonded and not coated.

5. Thanks, I loaded some up to try tomirrow morning. I loaded them to lead specs to start with.

6. az-jim

az-jim Staff Member Mod Premium Member

Most of my stuff is plinking ammo, I loaded some stuff for rabbit camp last year in 45-70 just for big muzzle flash. I have loaded some 357 magnum with my hot load (158g semi wad cutter over 14.5g of 2400) with powder coated bullets and had no issues. I cast up a bunch of 9mm and coated them but have not loaded them yet. My next attempt will be 44 mag in pistol and rifle, yes I have a 44 mag bolt action rifle that is awesome fun to shoot

Logan likes this.
  7. az-jim

How did they shoot?

8. Bad lol I had my powder die set up to flare the neck alot for the bullet feeding die and it barely held the bullet in the shell. The 115 gr bullet is considerably shorter than the 147 gr I was set up for.. I figured it out when I had 2 rounds that popped apart and stuck the bullet in the barrel when the slide tried to slam shut. So I fixed it the flaring problem and loaded some new rounds. Just gotta find time to try them now.

9. az-jim

Yeah cast bullets are a little different animal. Don’t flare the case mouth too much, it shortens the life of the brass and it will split. During or after seating depending on the dies you have, crimping is a must on pistol ammo. Doesn’t need to be a heavy crimp because again it works the brass and will shorten its life. It does however need to be consistent from batch to batch or next time you reload them they may not shoot the same as the crimp will affect chamber pressure.

We are both in the east valley, hit me up if you want some assistance with this.

10. I'll let you know how this next batch goes. I was set up for the heavy flare because I have a hornady bullet feeding die I use for jacketed bullets and it requires a big flare to release the collects inside the die. It wont feed the coated bullets. I put a crimp on them this go around so hopefully they will work.

az-jim likes this.