Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now we're Talken, I am newbie to Predator hunting. I have been on a few hunts. My first two were with myself. With no luck. I didn't see anything come in. That does not mean a Coyote didn't come in, just that I didn't spot him. The last hunt was with a friend who had a hand call and I had an e-call. We were on our 1st stand for alittle over hour with no luck. I was playing the e-caller for 45 min. and that didn't work. So we moved to another stand and change the way we were calling. My partner use his squeaker and I used my ecall after him. We alternated back and forth with breaks in between. In about 20min. I got to see a Coyote coming in out the corner of my eye. It was about 30 yards to my right and when I turned he must have seen me or smelled, because he was running away from me. I was using .270 cal. and took a shot, but did not connect. I got hooked right there. Man that Coyote could move. I have been reading alot of books and mags. on Predator hunting, so this year my goal is to bag a Coyote and then a Bobcat. Bobcat will be a full mount if I am lucky to connect with one. Coyote will be skined and tanned and hanging on the wall. :roll:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Sounds like your partner was a jinx :wink:

We'll have to get out again ASAP!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yea

Desert Rat, My friend Eric wants to go out in a few weeks. He is my friend that lives around the corner from you. I'll let you know. It will be early in the morning because of the heat.
I am trying to post pictures. I need to figure how this works.

It works. Some may have seen these and other picture I post on another hunting site. I should be posting new pictures shorty.

TallPaul out tring hunt Coyotes. Got Rabbits instead.

[/img]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Desert Rat said:
Sounds like your partner was a jinx :wink:

We'll have to get out again ASAP!
My partner was the one that called it in. :lol:
I guess you still don't think I saw that Coyote. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chief said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/johnp18/Predators003.jpg

Hey Paul is this what you'll be looking for? :D
Ohhhh Man, Thats what I am talkin. Great pictures. Chief I know you will be an asset to this site.
I look forward to your storys , tips , and photos. Start new post please. Nice to have you here. In the Fall I am going to try to make it down your way for some Coyote Calling. So I'll be looking you up.
Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
362 Posts
How about this one Tallpaul?? I am a predator nut. I call as much as possible durig the winter. I called this big male ealier this year.

Too bad I cut the top of my head off when I tried to use the timer on my camera. :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice

Sweet Blake, and.... I hate you... :lol: . That looks like a lot of fun. Any info on the shoot? Yardage , Time of day, cal. used.....ect..?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Paul,

Here is the story for you. I had hunted an area near here many times with good success, but I had always wanted to take my quad farther back to where I know nobody else would go. As I was riding in, I would keep glassing into the distance to make sure that I didn't ride the quad right into the "honey hole". Well, I saw this spot and immediately got off the quad and hiked over. I was basially on a finger of brush that protruded out into the open. There were two drainages on either side of me that went down into the thick stuff. It was around 8:30 or so and I knew if there were dogs in teh area, that they would come from the drainage. I have hunted this type of terrain out there numerous times and I know how the dogs act out there. Well, it took three sets of calling and nothing. I just couldn't give up though. I knew the spot was far too good not to hold a yote. Sure enough, after 15 minutes of silence, this guy started strolling in. I saw him at 400+ yards and he slowly walked and trotted all the way to me. A cow mooed at him and he stopped at around 60-70 yards and I smoked him.

Call: Primos KiYi
Gun:22.250 Remington
Bullet: 55 grain Core-Lokt. (I don't use them anymore)

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
What about the yote you smoked during the Antelope Eaters Hunt? You know, the one I coaxed under the fence with my masterful calling abilities. LOL! :wink:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ahh the Antelope Eaters hunt. How can I ever forget? Let's see, Day 1 was full of fun. 20 mph winds at dawn, then progressing to around 30-35 throughout the day with gusts in the 40 range. Somewhere around 20 stands and not a single sighting of a coyote. My face was wind blasted, my contacts felt like pringles chips in my eyes. How could I forget fun like that!! :lol:

Actually, the first day was rough, but overall, I had a blast and I will for sure be back next year. Dan did a great job calling throughout all the issues we had with the wind. When he called that one in, I thought that I had blown my only opportunity to kill him when I was not prepred when he stopped. This dog was trying to get downwind of us and Dan did an awesome job getting him to turn and cross the fence. When he sat down, I let him have it right in the chest. You talk about redemption! That one stand made all the misery of the day before disappear. Dan, my friend, if you have that picture still, please share it. I can't seem to find it??

Oh yeah, that afternoon at the final check in was pretty cool too. Perhaps you would like to share that story Dan?? You know how humble I can get! haha :wink:

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
Here's you go. Sweet shot and sweet calling, despite the weekend winds.

Oh, and Blake was the lucky winner of the Grand Prize raffle too! A Savage .270 WSM rifle!

Ceep! Are you ever going to pick that rifle up and sell it to me? :roll: LOL.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think the funnier part of the story is that I had mine and Dan's tickets in my hand and they both had my name on it. I gave one to Dan, just in case one of the tickets was actually drawn, then we wouldn't have to try to decide who got the rifle. When I gave Dan his ticket, he said in his sarcastic tone "What if I wanted the other one?" I offered it to him and he declined. Wouldn't you know it, several minutes later the ticket that was drawn was the one that was still in my hand!!! Oh poor Dan. You should have taken that ticket!!

Sorry buddy but I had to rub it in a little. :p

Next year, I will do all the calling and maybe you will win the rifle!!

·
Administrator
6,602 Posts
Photoshot said:
I gave one to Dan, just in case one of the tickets was actually drawn, then we wouldn't have to try to decide who got the rifle. When I gave Dan his ticket, he said in his sarcastic tone "What if I wanted the other one?" I offered it to him and he declined. Wouldn't you know it, several minutes later the ticket that was drawn was the one that was still in my hand!!! Oh poor Dan. You should have taken that ticket!!
What'ya mean by... sarcastic tone? Me, sarcastic? Never!

Just think if I had taken back the other ticket. You'd have been heartbroken when I won. :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts