Arizonahuntingforums.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Other than hearing coyotes and seeing them run down my street, I was wondering where in the areas around Prescott is a good area to try calling coyotes? I have hand calls but no electronic atm. Just want to get out and do my part in regulating predator populations.

Also, I know I'm a little far north for the apparent mischievous devils known as coatis, but I was wondering what regulations or rules there are for taking them? Do I need a permit? Is there a bag limit or caliber restriction? I've never seen one before and I'm fascinated by the little creatures. I want to know what I can do to bag one if I ever run across one.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
coatis are a game species. you are allowed 1 per year. i forget what the season is, i think it runs along with badger and other mammals. coyotes are quite in check around certain areas of prescott due to the ranchers, but there are low desert areas they probably need some thinning. lions seem to be more of a problem lately too (just my observation, nothing scientific)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coatis are a game species. you are allowed 1 per year. i forget what the season is, i think it runs along with badger and other mammals. coyotes are quite in check around certain areas of prescott due to the ranchers, but there are low desert areas they probably need some thinning. lions seem to be more of a problem lately too (just my observation, nothing scientific)
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll have to go try to find some coyotes down in the areas below Prescott then. I'll also be getting a lion tag because I want the tag in my pocket if the opportunity ever presents itself.

Thanks for the info on coatis. I know I probably won't see one while hunting, but I just had to know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Savageman22506, I'm in Chino Valley and I used to hear coyotes early in the mornings and sometimes I got to see them. But with all the people moving in that seems a thing of the past. I understand there are a few out Perkinsvelle to the west.
A friend of mine saw a coati out on the Thumb Butte trail, don't think you can hunt there. I'm trying to find when the season starts and end for the Gunnison Prairie dogs. The G&F web page is useless.

·
Registered
695 Posts
When you get around to lion hunting check out Agua Fria National Monument, I've had a couple sightings in there and found tracks along the river.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Savageman22506, I'm in Chino Valley and I used to hear coyotes early in the mornings and sometimes I got to see them. But with all the people moving in that seems a thing of the past. I understand there are a few out Perkinsvelle to the west.
A friend of mine saw a coati out on the Thumb Butte trail, don't think you can hunt there. I'm trying to find when the season starts and end for the Gunnison Prairie dogs. The G&F web page is useless.
General seasons for Gunnison's prairie dog's is July 1st - March 31st, aka CLOSED from April to July. Can only hunt em north of Gila River and excludes national wildlife refuges. You can find it in the regs under "other mammals"

Also, that's crazy about the coati. I was just up by Thumb Butte the other day on the trails. I'd love to find one

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you get around to lion hunting check out Agua Fria National Monument, I've had a couple sightings in there and found tracks along the river.
As soon as my residency is official (another month) I'll be buying my lion tag and trying for one. Now I know a decent place to try. Thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Coyotes are not detoured by the people moving into an area. It just gets harder to find areas that you can shoot in. The coyote numbers actually get thicker around people. There are so many more meals to be had with people leaving their dog and cat food out. [ and small pets]. Or garbage cans to raid! Two of my best spots are where a cattle ranch buts up to a subdivision! I just have to be careful to stay a safe distance from the houses and watch my backstops. I have had to move my spots out when they built more houses.
I try to spend as much time following the trails that leave the houses, as I do hunting. When you find a good trail it will be littered with dog and cat collars! DR

Reactions: Savageman2506

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coyotes are not detoured by the people moving into an area. It just gets harder to find areas that you can shoot in. The coyote numbers actually get thicker around people. There are so many more meals to be had with people leaving their dog and cat food out. [ and small pets]. Or garbage cans to raid! Two of my best spots are where a cattle ranch buts up to a subdivision! I just have to be careful to stay a safe distance from the houses and watch my backstops. I have had to move my spots out when they built more houses.
I try to spend as much time following the trails that leave the houses, as I do hunting. When you find a good trail it will be littered with dog and cat collars! DR
When I was a kid we hunted private ranches that were really close to residential areas, and even a community college! There were coyotes everywhere. Still are. Unfortunately we lost permission once the ranch sold...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts