Public land access

Discussion in 'Hunting Lounge' started by LambeauLeaper12, May 5, 2020.

1. I have been doing some Google Maps scouting to get a feel for the various units. I have noticed that there are forest roads or other roads which could be used to access public lands, but they cross over private land in certain areas. What are the general rules and etiquette for using these roads? Does the landowner control access to these roads, meaning they could close off the portion that crosses over their land?

Just not sure how these various roads are treated here. I know in my home state, most of the roads are county roads, so anybody can access those roads and travel on them, despite the fact they cross over private lands.

2. lynn1130

lynn1130 Staff Member Mod

The simple answer to this is yes they can shut off access and many in SE Arizona have. If there is a gate and a sign you cannot pass. If no sign prohibiting trespass or hunting you are good to go. OnXmaps is a better resource for what is private and what is not.

A search here will bring up some lengthy threads on this issue. In some places G&F has negotiated access with land owners and we need to remember we are guests. One forgotten gate left open can and has gotten land access shut down.

3. Oops, I meant OnX maps. Is there a way to know whether those gates are shut beforehand? Would be a bit frustrating to drive 3 hours out there just to find out I can't access a certain area via that road.

4. The property owner can close a gate without notification. Or another person could close a gate for their own purpose.

5. Scouting before hand helps you learn these issues before your hunt. But like said before this could change over night.

6. Yeah that's my concern. Probably just look at units with little to no access issues and then focus more on areas within those units with no private property issues.

Ramspeed likes this.
  7. lynn1130

It is trial and error and as Ram said scouting before hand. Where are you looking?

8. I was looking at some areas in Unit 20A. Still trying to figure out which units I should apply for. This will be my first year hunting, and I've only lived in AZ for a few years so I'm not very familiar with different areas. I'm pretty clueless on which units to try, but I'm leaning toward Unit 28 just cause it has such high draw odds (mule deer)

Ramspeed likes this.
  9. lynn1130

I am not that familiar with 28 but there may be some that are and will jump in with some info. You have to do some scouting and road searching which is what I do with a new unit before putting in. Right now gas/fuel is cheap so a road trip might be in order.

We explored the Black Hills Byway some years ago as well as some of the area around Clifton/Morenci and there is plenty of BLM, and state land for hunting but I have never actually hunted so how good it is is another question.