Quail Season 2017

Discussion in 'Bird Dogs, Upland, Migratory & Waterfowl' started by Buster, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Yep, Ill be out but on other side and a bit north.

Birdbanger83 likes this.
  2. Heres another question for everyone... Do quail stop calling midday? I've noticed I have the best responses in the morning, but around noon thru 4 they just won't call back. I assume they are still active but do they just wise up and stop responding to the call? Also, does anyone have a good mearns call they recommend?

- UA

3. Gambels definitely call more early in the morning. As the season wears on, coveys that have been hit a few times will call less and less, as well. Calling can be a pretty inconsistent means of finding birds this late in the season.

4. Im about to hop in my car and try again down south; any pointers for locating birds if calling isn't as effective anymore then?

-UA

5. If you're dogless I'd recommend looking for washes with promising habitat (near water - like w/in a 1/4 mile - some good foliage like hackberries etc) and just walking them up. I didn't hear a peep out of the coveys we found out by Wickenburg the other day until we were right up on them.

UA3262 likes this.
  6. Sounds good, ill let you all know how I do.

- UA

Gambeler likes this.
  7. Still no call backs or birds today. I found a new duck pond though, and a lot of someone else's shells...

- UA

Buster and Gambeler like this.
  8. I have found the gambels have wised up too in locations with tons of shooting. I mean, wouldn’t you shut the hell up if people were shooting at you?

UA3262 likes this.