Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice today I wounded rabbits that didn’t finish them immediately.

I shot the first one from a distance and absolutely ruined it.

Second rabbit that I wounded I... just ran up to it and hit it with the butt of my shotgun. That did the trick.

Is there... a better way to go around finishing off a rabbit?

I figure better aim would make sure that my taking of them is more humane. I’ve got to work on that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Good morning to all-
Well, back when I hunted rabbits-cottontails back east here- I hunted them a lot, and when it came to dispatching downed but not dead rabbits, I either had with me a short- say three/four foot long section of mop handle that I used to whack them over the head or I just got them by the back legs, put a foot on the head and gave a quick jerk. Broke the neck and sent them on their way very quickly.
I'd think the mop handle might be a good idea for you out there- good snake medicine, too.
But I never had a shot that wasn't dead center on and rabbit down dead. if you believe this, I got some waterfront property in Arizona...

good day to all- Ed

·
Registered
530 Posts
I always did Ed's second suggestion: step on the head, grab the feet and swiftly yank upwards. Snaps the neck, instant death. A little whacking stick would be perfect, and is a good suggestion, if you don't mind packing it long

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The leg thing suggested works great. Helped a farmer in Africa dispatch like 30 of them that were eating his pumpkins.
I like the 17hmr or 17wsm or further reaching

·
Registered
463 Posts
Good evening to all-
I agree with using a .22 for rabbits. Much harder for me for running shots, but for potting rabbits at a distance when they're sitting still, that little .22 is great.
Also, when I used a shotgun, often times the pellets would carry hair and fur into the meat of the rabbit, and it was kinda off-putting when cooked up and a big wad of fur came out when the meat was cut up. Just sayin'

good night to all- Ed

·
Super Moderator
2,846 Posts

Second rabbit that I wounded I... just ran up to it and hit it with the butt of my shotgun. That did the trick.

I figure better aim would make sure that my taking of them is more humane. I’ve got to work on that.
What size shot are you using? I never cared for 7 1/2 or 8 especially on jacks, but which you would also use for dove and quail, which is also when I usually hunt rabbits. Works great on birds, not so much on rabbits... for me anyway. I use #6 usually, just try not to dead center the birds in the shot cloud, Ive come up on more than one pile of feathers 😕

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
When I was in high school, and probably a few years before, my daily routine was, come home from school, get the 22 Winchester pump and spend the time until dark hunting rabbits and anything else that moved(thats why my grades were so bad). I became very proficient at hitting rabbits on the run. Few, if any needed further efforts to dispatch them. Most I left in the field. We did not eat rabbit and I hate to admit that most went to waste. That was in the late 50s and early 60s and both Jacks and cottentails were plentiful in Kansas. I seldom used shot. That was a quail, pheasant load and shotgun was for bird hunting and in some cases waterfowl. I really did not like duck and if I shot them I gave them away to someone who would eat them. That was not for me.

I grew up shooting rabbits, quail (bobwhite of course) pheasants along with the raccoon and badger that got out in front of me. I became a very good, and I mean a very good "on the run" shooter and wish I still had that ability today. But rabbit? maybe not my daily meal LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently changed out my choke.

Actually... now that i think about it, that’s when I started having this issue. I was trying to get more distance.

I haven’t had a chance to do much with load combos, 4 shot is all I have left.

Have you ever patterned the gun, choke, load combo to see what you are working with? Have you established and accurate point of aim and gun fit?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I recently changed out my choke.

Actually... now that i think about it, that’s when I started having this issue. I was trying to get more distance.

I haven’t had a chance to do much with load combos, 4 shot is all I have left.
#4 steel would only kill cleanly to about 30 yards. I used a lot of it up until a few years ago when denser non toxs became more readily available.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
30 yards is a pretty good distance for a shotgun leading a rabbit. Its not like a turkey standing still, with right ammo, a good extended choke, you can reach out to 50- 55 plus, but that's a standing shot at a turkey head.

·
Registered
25 Posts

[/QUO
I don’t like shotguns for rabbits. 22lr right through the head works best for me.
Do
I don’t like shotguns for rabbits. 22lr right through the head works best for me.
Curious, do you use a scope or iron sights on your 22LR to hunt small game? I was using a scope and did alright, but noticed my kill ratio wasn't that great, especially on >30 yard shots. I realized trying to hold target with a scope just magnifies the movement on small game whereas the iron sights are easier to hold target. I went out last Saturday and nabbed two rabbits which was a first. The rabbit population is very small nowadays so bringing home two was impressive, but not convinced yet it was because I was using iron sights or just lucky that day.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Lucky, You know it, but dont want to tell yourself Your Dang Lucky !!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts