Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down for some rabbit hunting in the 22 area toward 4 peaks... I was out there from dawn and 11 am. There was not very many people and ATV's since it was during the week. I hiked for a few miles and was only able to see one rabbit the whole time and I seemed to juussstt walk right past it and it was hiding behind a cactus and bush! It was a good size but ran off before I could even get a shot. Plenty of rabbit tracks and droppings but only saw ONE. It was the one that got away... It was my first time rabbit hunting. Should I stay stationary in one area and not move and wait until some might pass, or should I keep walking until I see one? Does anyone recommend a better area to spot rabbits? It seems like they are always in parks and lakes but we obviously can't shoot them there haha. I might try somewhere towards queen valley on state land this week... It was fun nonetheless to finally get some boots on the ground!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have limited knowledge in rabbit hunting but the couple of times i was out for them i always found them at the tops of the hills and down the shaded side of the hills. If the area is flatter with no hills then check the washes. All the rabbits i have killed were flushed out from cactus or bushes. The only place i really had success hunting rabbits was north of globe during my dad's javelina hunt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have limited knowledge in rabbit hunting but the couple of times i was out for them i always found them at the tops of the hills and down the shaded side of the hills. If the area is flatter with no hills then check the washes. All the rabbits i have killed were flushed out from cactus or bushes. The only place i really had success hunting rabbits was north of globe during my dad's javelina hunt.
I passed a lot of washes and was waiting for them there. The one I saw was on top of a hill that flushed out of a cactus. So maybe I'll give that a shot, the top of a hill near cacti and brush. Thanks for the info ! @Logan

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
2019 Rabbit Camp March 22-24 Bagdad AZ.
Look at the post in the small game forum.

Green.

G

·
I have killed many cottontails using both methods. I hunted a large but narrow wash and would sit on one side and as they moved I would shoot them with my 10/22. While walking I would suggest that you take a few steps and then stop, rabbit gets nervous and bolts from cover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have killed many cottontails using both methods. I hunted a large but narrow wash and would sit on one side and as they moved I would shoot them with my 10/22. While walking I would suggest that you take a few steps and then stop, rabbit gets nervous and bolts from cover.
Thank you chief! Plan on taking my 597 out this weekend

1 - 14 of 14 Posts