Rabbit with Tomatoes

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by Chief, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Since Tall Paul is a world renowned rabbit hunter, know throughout the civilized world as the best of the best when it come to rabbit hunting I thought I would post this rabbit recipe for his benefit.

Ingredients:
    1 to 2 pounds deboned rabbit, cut into chunks
    2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced (or more) :D
    1/2 cup thinly sliced pancetta or very lean bacon ( I use the pancetta)
    1 1/2 to 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped (blanch them for a minute or so in boiling water and they will peel easy)
    3 tablespoons of fresh basil, most times I use more but it's like garlic - can't never use to much!
    salt and fresh ground black pepper to your liking
    4 Tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400. Pat the rabbit pieces dry with a paper towel. Place a thin slice (or two) of garlic on each piece. Wrap a slice of pancetta or bacon around it, making sure the garlic is held in place.

Place the tomatoes in a non-stick pan and cook for a few minutes until they give up some of their liquid and begin to dry out. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper. (I have also added fresh oregano when making this dish)

Place the tomatoe mixture in the bottom of a baking dish. Arrange the rabbit pieces on top of the tomatoes and sprinkle with the olive oil. Place uncovered, in the oven and roast for 40 - 50 minutes.

Baste the rabbit occasionally with any fat in the dish. After about the first 25 or so minutes cover the dish with foil for the remaining time.

I like to serve this with fresh yellow string beans and a baked potatoe covered with sour cream, butter and fresh cut chives.

A glass of chilled White Merlot or White Zinfandel is perfect for this meal, you need not limit yourself to one glass :lol:

2. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Funny

Chief, You crack me up. I can't wait to try this recipe. WoW. But it will to wait for a few days or so. I am going Trout fishing tommorow. Thanks for the recipe I copyed and printed it out.

PS. Any Trout Recipes. :lol: