Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off - I want to say how surprised I am (and how appreciative) at how busy we are here in the forums. I seriously expected it would be Garth, Dan, Paul and myself, for the first few months.

That being said, we can always use more. I would truly like this to be a mainstay of the Arizona sites. I do think "quiet and discreet" recruiting is how we'd like to bring in new folks. I think making posts like "Hey - come to our site" on other message boards is a little tacky. Also, I consider the AZOD, CW, and AZSJ people to be friends, and I would rather try to offer something different to the public, than to "compete" per se, with the other sites. The other sites all have different personalities and moods for sure, and I intend to continue visiting and using them.

Already, I have had several comments from other users, that these (our) sites (main site, forums, blog) "feel different", and that they see the potential in them - I'd love to build on that!

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Stay the course - slow and steady wins the race?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think this site has a lot of potential and plan on being around to try to help, if you want me to.
But, I have no where to post turkey and javelina pics.......(hint, hint)
I have been telling cetain friends to check the site out, hope thats ok.
One thing I noticed about other sites is, if there is politics involved, they seem to go downhill fast....dont know why that is though.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW - Freaky.. First thing this morning, I sent Steve a PM asking for a javelina forum!

I can ask for a turkey one as well

·
Administrator
6,603 Posts
Desert Rat, I have an idea for both sites and will run it by everyone here.

How about we create a new sub-thread called - "Happy Trails"? This will be a place where we encourage folks to explore their writing skills (with you editing) and tell a story about a most memorable hunting, fishing or other Arizona outdoor-related experience. We could limit the submissions to, say, -- 1,000 words or less?

Once submitted and edited by you, our stories could then be posted in the Hunting section of the blog side and also in a "sticky" thread on the Hunting Lounge side in the chat forum? You could set the deadline date for submissions (allowing you editing time) and then post the stories on both sites.

How's that for ceativity?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea, Dan!

I think Steven is lurking - if he doesn't see this, I'll talk to him about it.

Keep em coming guys!

·
Administrator
6,603 Posts
Here's a technical suggestion. How about having Steven add the "Happy Trails" as a stand alone Forum under the Sport banner? Steve could make this forum restrictive by allowing only you (and perhaps the moderators) access to make posts in this forum? This will prevent unedited topics from being posted until you've had a chance to do any necessary editing? I've seen other forums set-up where only the admins and moderators can make posts in a specific forum.

On another note, and perhaps it's already been posted and I've missed it, but how can others make contributions on the blog side? Could we send them to you for consideration? If so, could you post an announcement on the blog side explaining how this would be handled?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was confused a little by the blog thing in the beginning. What I have learned is that, typically, only the blog owner makes posts on a blog - everyone else can only post responses. I guess that is what makes them so personal. Occasionally, a blog owner can post a "Guest Comment" - for example you would e-mail your editorial to me, and I would copy, paste, and attribute it to Dan - today's guest commentator. Rarely (but technically feasible) one can authorize other authors on a blog, but that usually doesn't happen.

All of these stories can be posted on the main site, however. They can also be announced, linked, reviewed, etc., via the blog.

Hope that is clear as mud.

·
Registered
969 Posts
How about a story and/or photo contest and give away something of significance, not just a hat............a dozen arrows would be nice....... :lol:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hey I just lurked! Great ideas guys. :wink:

Yes, give-aways are definitely brewing right now. I wasn't sure when would be a good time. I thought maybe if we had a little more people around first, but we'll see.

Here is another idea I can toss out to you guys. Over at our Maine site we have Membership cards. People who actually want to be a member can register for a membership card. It is all free. In 2 or 3 weeks you get your card with your name on it and then we can look for people to offer discounts for card carriers. Also members will automatically be placed in all future give-aways so there is no re-entries every time we do a give-away.

This is what we do in Maine right now. There are like 4 or 5 Maine Guides who offer discounts to card-carriers.

Let me know if you want the Happy Trails forum. Make sure to have Desert Rat approve it first and have him contact me. He is technically the one who is managing the forums here in Arizona.

G

·
bowhuntinmaniac said:
How about a story and/or photo contest and give away something of significance, not just a hat............a dozen arrows would be nice....... :lol:
It all sounds good to me. All that you have been talking about.
Happy Trails is good.
As for the contest, That sounds like a winner. Story and or photo contest I give that my vote.
Hey I have an old Bow around here somewhere. JK.

this got posted at the same time Steve posted, but he beat me in. I like Steves idea as well.
I have been recruiting Quietly myself . Seems to work. Like Mashall stated I don't want to compete with other sites. I fell if this site offers the different, people will come.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think between the crowd we have, the membership cards, the photo gallery, and the amateur writers forum (pending) that we are well on our way to being "something different".

Thanks again everybody!

·
Registered
462 Posts
The membership cards thing will be another 2-3 weeks before we get it up and going full tilt. It is already on the list of high priority. We will need to come up with a design and get it ready and then add it to the site. Tom does all the printing of cards and mailing. He is currently on vacation, so a good time frame would be 3 weeks before we can start signing up for free membership.

As soon as Desert Rat sends me final details of the new forum I will toss that up. I think this site is very unique and you guys have some great ideas. This is your site so if you have any other ideas make sure to share them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All great ideas. I will support all you guys want to do. I am an idiot when it comes to posting pics on these sites so I will need help in the future. This site does feel more relaxed than the other ones. I enjoy the other ones but I really like this one and will help get it up and going as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In Reply to bowhuntinmainiac,

Yes, forums that have politics in them can and often do go downhill in a hurry. We believe that politics, other than what directly affects hunting, can be found at politicking forums not hunting ones. We would just as soon have slow times than a large turnover of members because fights broke out over heated political debate. Many forums add politics forums to their sites to give their members something to talk about during the off season.

There are several ways of looking at the political threads. Some say if you don't want to get mad, don't go in, etc. etc.

From personal experience I can tell you that politics can carry extremely compassionate debate. What happens on forums with any debate becomes difficult because with only a keypad and writing text, readers aren't able to hear voice deflection and see body language to fully understand what a person is saying. A few words written can be taken in several ways. This adds to the confusion and misunderstandings that can ultimately contribute to hurt feelings, huge fights and members abandoning a good resource for all the wrong reasons.

Forums become a reflection of those participating. When a group "takes over" a forum, it takes on its own identity as this one has already. This is good and bad. It is good in that birds of a feather flock together. It is bad because sometimes they become exclusionary and will not welcome newcomers.

I speak of this all from experience. I have been to message boards from here to kingdom come and the two biggest turnoffs that I have found, and I don't think I am alone in this thought, is the arguing a fighting, complete with personal insults AND not responding or including someone else into a conversation.

So, with all this said, we try to leave politics out of the debate at least those topics not directly related to hunting.

I would suggest if anyone wants to make comment about hunting politics, they can visit my Black Bear Blog. Not only do I relate important news issues, my own commentary and opinion but I also try to cover important Legislation that involves many states. The blog is open to comments and I welcome them. I can't be everywhere, so when you know of a hot issue that needs my attention, email me. I will appreciate the heads up.

One thing I also do is ask directly for your opinions. Let's say Arizona is having a hot contested battle over whether or not to ban hunting with bow and arrow, as a random thing. As part of the coverage, I may appear on this forum asking directly for Arizona hunter's opinions to share with the rest of the readership and to educate myself on issues and how Arizona hunters see things.

Man I didn't mean to get off on a tangent here but in short, if your a political debater guy or gal, there are tons of political message boards that would love your input.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK guys.. are we losing some momentum, or is it just slow all over the net?

Admittedly, we grew faster in the beginning, than I thought we would. Now, we're growing slower than I thought. I guess maybe I'm just too damned impatient.. :oops:

I figured after we had the first wave of core guys, curiosity would build, and people would start coming over to check it out...

G

·
Momentum ?

Well where the heck is chatter box AZ Thunder? I thought he was back online. :D I have been single the pass week and having a great time staying out until all hours and chasing cattail. :lol: Okay one night I went out to the....store for milk and chasing tail was trying to get my own cat in the house.
I still talk this site up to every one I come in contact with. So now that the draw is out I would think it should pick up some what. It has slowed down a lot the pass week. I am posting stuff that is old. Oh, I guess I'll get my butt in gear.
PS. My BOSS is home so I am be on here more. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts