Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Sausage Recipe's

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  AzSlim 
#1 ·
Here are some recipes I have made up using wild game. This started out as an e-mail to family and friends and lately I have been using it in classes I teach for a couple outdoor organizations. Those of you from AZOD & AZSJ will recognize them.

Sausage Recipes

I usually use 2/3 wild meat, 1/3 clean pork, (book calls for pork butt however sirloin is leaner & no bones), then whatever fat the recipe calls for, and sometimes I scrimp on that because my family doesn't handle fat that well. The key is to keep things cool so the fat doesn't start melting and handle as little as possible. I have a couple stainless steel bowls I use and mix/knead with a potato masher or big wooden spoon before the 2nd grind. I use the 1/4 inch plate first then 3/8 plate most times. If you think the meat is getting warm then put in the icebox and have a beer. When the beer is done the meat should be cooled down.

oh - beer works for the liquid also, but different brands add different flavors so use a little at first so you don't spoil a whole batch. Try a teaspoon in a patty, cook it and go from there.

My latest change is to mix 50/50 with ground pork from Costco - sure cuts down on grinding & handling time. If you do this 2 grinds is sufficient to mix everything. I also cut my meat into small chunks and mix in spices before grinding, once again cuts down on handling time and gets a real good mix of spices throughout.

Chicken & Apple Sausage - I like stuffed, like bratwurst - Cheri and girls like bulk for breakfast w/pancakes or french toast & syrup. I tried this recipe with mtn lion and it was just okay, is a lot better with birds - chicken, turkey (white meat) or quail. Have used ground turkey from Costco, works great, just add spices and mix.

1 cup apple cider
31/2 lbs chicken - book says thigh's with skin, but I usually grab breasts, less work and better meat
3 oz dried apples
4 tspns kosher salt
2 tspns freshly ground black pepper
2 tspns dried sage
1/4 tspn ground ginger
1/8 tspn ground cinnamon
1/8 tspn ground nutmeg
1 chicken bullion cube dissolved in 2 tblspns boiling water

boil cider down to syrup, about 2 - 3 tblspns, cool & reserve (or use frozen concentrate, easier and quicker because I am lazy). Grind meat with 1/4 plate, mix in spices and liquids and knead together well, then I grind again thru 3/8 inch plate to get good mix. Cook small patty and decide if you want to add anything else.

Hunter Sausage - I like to make hash with this one, mix in potatoes and maybe scramble an egg or 2. Book stuffs and makes links, I have made them and they are good too. Good with deer, elk & javelina.

2 lbs pork butt
1 lb smoked bacon - also is good with maple flavored bacon too.
1/2 cup cold water
1 tblspn whole mustard seeds
2 tspns minced garlic
2 tspns coarsely ground black pepper
2 tspns sweet Hungarian paprika
2 tspns dried mustard
1 tspn kosher salt
1 tspn ground coriander
1 tspn freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tspn ground ginger

grind meat/bacon together, mix in spices/water and knead together, then grind again. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything.

Italian Sweet Fennel - is real good in spaghetti sauce. Good with deer, elk, haven't used javelina yet.

3 lbs pork butt
3/4 lb pork fat
1/2 cup dry red wine
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tblspns fennel seeds
1 tblspn freshly ground black pepper
4 tspns kosher salt
1 tspn dried oregano
1/8 tspn gound allspice

grind meat/fat together, mix in spices/water and knead together, then grind again. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything.

Venison Sausage - I didn't have any brandy so I used Maker's Mark bourbon, an extra tblspn or 2 wouldn't have hurt either. Good with elk, deer.

1 1/2 lbs venison or elk
1 lb pork butt
3/4 lb pork fat
1/2 lb bacon
3 tblspns dry red wine
2 tblspns brandy - (and a shot for the sausage maker)
4 tspns kosher salt
2 tspns minced juniper berries - I bought a jar, but you can get same thing off of the trees out camping
1 tspn minced garlic
1 tspn minced shallots - I didn't have any, (or know what they were at the time), so used diced green onions.
1 tspn fresh rosemary or 1/2 tspn dried.

cut meat, fat, bacon into 2 inch pieces and mix in lg bowl with spices & liquid, marinate overnight. Grind twice, mixing in any juices from the bowl. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything. I only marinated 5 hrs first time I made this, kids came back for seconds so guess it was okay.

Smoked Country Sausage - makes wonderful biscuit and gravy meat, is Cheri & girls 2nd favorite behind chicken & apple. Good with deer, elk, mtn lion & javelina. In addition to brown sugar we add in lots of honey. You have to watch the heat when cooking though because it is easy to burn.

1 1/2 lbs game meat (nice, clean meat - no wild fat)
1 lb clean pork (I use pork sirloin if possible, not too fatty)
3/4 lb pork back fat (I ask butcher at supermkt to save for me)
1 tblspn brown sugar or how we like it add 3+ tblspns desert honey
1 tblspn kosher salt
1 tblspn paprika
2 tspn red pepper flakes (cut back if not into spicy stuff - like my daughters)
1 tspn ground sage
1 tspn dried tyme
pinch of allspice
1/2 cup cold water (may use little less based on moisture in meat) - is also good to use 1/4+ cup water & couple few tblspns brandy or sweet whiskey - wild turkey, southern comfort, etc. Once again it is some for the meat and some for the maker......

grind meat & fat together into bowl, then mix in all spices/water, knead together and then grind again, depending on how well things mixed you can grind a 3rd time.

Chorizo

1 1/2 lbs pork butt - I use 1 lb wild meat & 1/2 lb pork sirloin or other boneless cut
1/2 lb pork fat - I have butcher at our market save for me
1 bunch (4 to 6 oz) fresh cilantro, chopped, about 1 cup - I have used 2 - 3 tblspn dried also
1 fresh serrano or jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar - I have used red wine, rice wine & red raspberry vinegars, each adds it's own distinctive flavor.
1 tblspn New Mexico or other dried chile powder
1 tblspn sweet Hungarian paprika
2 tspns kosher salt
1 1/2 tspn whole cumin seeds
1 tspn ground cumin
1/2 tspn coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tspn ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tspn ground coriander

If you want to add more bite leave the seeds in the peppers.

Iowa Farm Sausage

Here is a recipe I really like. Have used deer, elk, javelina and mtn lion.

2 1/4 lb pork butt or sirloin (I use 1 1/4 lb game and 1 lb pork)
3/4 lb pork fat (cut back depending on how fatty the pork is)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tblspn kosher salt
2 tspns ground sage
1 tspn dried tyme
1 tspn dried basil
1 tspn red pepper flakes
1 tspn coursely ground black pepper
1 tspn ginger
1/2 tspn minced garlic
1/4 cup water

I dice my meat into small chunks, add the spices & liquid and mix good then run through the grinder twice. Book says to grind first then mix spices in, your choice here, I like double grinds and my way cuts down on handling time. Also, if you can get ground pork I mix 50/50 game to pork, for this recipe I would use 1.5 lbs game to 1.5 lbs ground pork. I grind them together so the meat mixes good, chunk of game and chunk of ground pork with the spices already mixed in.

Recipes are from the book "Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book" - ISBN # 1-58008-159-2. Published by Ten Speed Press - www.tenspeed.com and available at Barnes & Noble or Border's Books.

See less See more
#3 ·
I added another recipe, Iowa Farm Sausage. Had the ladies make this up at the Becoming An Outdoor Woman workshop and they loved it. I know I have done my job when folks walk away from my classes saying they will never buy sausage again.

#8 ·
Good info, Thank you.

Green.

Here are some recipes I have made up using wild game. This started out as an e-mail to family and friends and lately I have been using it in classes I teach for a couple outdoor organizations. Those of you from AZOD & AZSJ will recognize them.

Sausage Recipes

I usually use 2/3 wild meat, 1/3 clean pork, (book calls for pork butt however sirloin is leaner & no bones), then whatever fat the recipe calls for, and sometimes I scrimp on that because my family doesn't handle fat that well. The key is to keep things cool so the fat doesn't start melting and handle as little as possible. I have a couple stainless steel bowls I use and mix/knead with a potato masher or big wooden spoon before the 2nd grind. I use the 1/4 inch plate first then 3/8 plate most times. If you think the meat is getting warm then put in the icebox and have a beer. When the beer is done the meat should be cooled down.

oh - beer works for the liquid also, but different brands add different flavors so use a little at first so you don't spoil a whole batch. Try a teaspoon in a patty, cook it and go from there.

My latest change is to mix 50/50 with ground pork from Costco - sure cuts down on grinding & handling time. If you do this 2 grinds is sufficient to mix everything. I also cut my meat into small chunks and mix in spices before grinding, once again cuts down on handling time and gets a real good mix of spices throughout.

Chicken & Apple Sausage - I like stuffed, like bratwurst - Cheri and girls like bulk for breakfast w/pancakes or french toast & syrup. I tried this recipe with mtn lion and it was just okay, is a lot better with birds - chicken, turkey (white meat) or quail. Have used ground turkey from Costco, works great, just add spices and mix.

1 cup apple cider
31/2 lbs chicken - book says thigh's with skin, but I usually grab breasts, less work and better meat
3 oz dried apples
4 tspns kosher salt
2 tspns freshly ground black pepper
2 tspns dried sage
1/4 tspn ground ginger
1/8 tspn ground cinnamon
1/8 tspn ground nutmeg
1 chicken bullion cube dissolved in 2 tblspns boiling water

boil cider down to syrup, about 2 - 3 tblspns, cool & reserve (or use frozen concentrate, easier and quicker because I am lazy). Grind meat with 1/4 plate, mix in spices and liquids and knead together well, then I grind again thru 3/8 inch plate to get good mix. Cook small patty and decide if you want to add anything else.

Hunter Sausage - I like to make hash with this one, mix in potatoes and maybe scramble an egg or 2. Book stuffs and makes links, I have made them and they are good too. Good with deer, elk & javelina.

2 lbs pork butt
1 lb smoked bacon - also is good with maple flavored bacon too.
1/2 cup cold water
1 tblspn whole mustard seeds
2 tspns minced garlic
2 tspns sweet Hungarian paprika
2 tspns dried mustard
1 tspn kosher salt
1 tspn ground coriander
1 tspn freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tspn ground ginger

grind meat/bacon together, mix in spices/water and knead together, then grind again. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything.

Italian Sweet Fennel - is real good in spaghetti sauce. Good with deer, elk, haven't used javelina yet.

3 lbs pork butt
3/4 lb pork fat
1/2 cup dry red wine
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tblspns fennel seeds
1 tblspn freshly ground black pepper
4 tspns kosher salt
1 tspn dried oregano
1/8 tspn gound allspice

grind meat/fat together, mix in spices/water and knead together, then grind again. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything.

Venison Sausage - I didn't have any brandy so I used Maker's Mark bourbon, an extra tblspn or 2 wouldn't have hurt either. Good with elk, deer.

1 1/2 lbs venison or elk
1 lb pork butt
3/4 lb pork fat
1/2 lb bacon
3 tblspns dry red wine
2 tblspns brandy - (and a shot for the sausage maker)
4 tspns kosher salt
2 tspns minced juniper berries - I bought a jar, but you can get same thing off of the trees out camping
1 tspn minced garlic
1 tspn minced shallots - I didn't have any, (or know what they were at the time), so used diced green onions.
1 tspn fresh rosemary or 1/2 tspn dried.

cut meat, fat, bacon into 2 inch pieces and mix in lg bowl with spices & liquid, marinate overnight. Grind twice, mixing in any juices from the bowl. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything. I only marinated 5 hrs first time I made this, kids came back for seconds so guess it was okay.

Smoked Country Sausage - makes wonderful biscuit and gravy meat, is Cheri & girls 2nd favorite behind chicken & apple. Good with deer, elk, mtn lion & javelina. In addition to brown sugar we add in lots of honey. You have to watch the heat when cooking though because it is easy to burn.

1 1/2 lbs game meat (nice, clean meat - no wild fat)
1 lb clean pork (I use pork sirloin if possible, not too fatty)
3/4 lb pork back fat (I ask butcher at supermkt to save for me)
1 tblspn brown sugar or how we like it add 3+ tblspns desert honey
1 tblspn kosher salt
1 tblspn paprika
2 tspn red pepper flakes (cut back if not into spicy stuff - like my daughters)
1 tspn ground sage
1 tspn dried tyme
pinch of allspice
1/2 cup cold water (may use little less based on moisture in meat) - is also good to use 1/4+ cup water & couple few tblspns brandy or sweet whiskey - wild turkey, southern comfort, etc. Once again it is some for the meat and some for the maker......

grind meat & fat together into bowl, then mix in all spices/water, knead together and then grind again, depending on how well things mixed you can grind a 3rd time.

Chorizo

1 1/2 lbs pork butt - I use 1 lb wild meat & 1/2 lb pork sirloin or other boneless cut
1/2 lb pork fat - I have butcher at our market save for me
1 bunch (4 to 6 oz) fresh cilantro, chopped, about 1 cup - I have used 2 - 3 tblspn dried also
1 fresh serrano or jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar - I have used red wine, rice wine & red raspberry vinegars, each adds it's own distinctive flavor.
1 tblspn New Mexico or other dried chile powder
1 tblspn sweet Hungarian paprika
2 tspns kosher salt
1 1/2 tspn whole cumin seeds
1 tspn ground cumin
1/2 tspn coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tspn ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tspn ground coriander

If you want to add more bite leave the seeds in the peppers.

Iowa Farm Sausage

Here is a recipe I really like. Have used deer, elk, javelina and mtn lion.

2 1/4 lb pork butt or sirloin (I use 1 1/4 lb game and 1 lb pork)
3/4 lb pork fat (cut back depending on how fatty the pork is)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tblspn kosher salt
2 tspns ground sage
1 tspn dried tyme
1 tspn dried basil
1 tspn red pepper flakes
1 tspn coursely ground black pepper
1 tspn ginger
1/2 tspn minced garlic
1/4 cup water

I dice my meat into small chunks, add the spices & liquid and mix good then run through the grinder twice. Book says to grind first then mix spices in, your choice here, I like double grinds and my way cuts down on handling time. Also, if you can get ground pork I mix 50/50 game to pork, for this recipe I would use 1.5 lbs game to 1.5 lbs ground pork. I grind them together so the meat mixes good, chunk of game and chunk of ground pork with the spices already mixed in.

Recipes are from the book "Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book" - ISBN # 1-58008-159-2. Published by Ten Speed Press - www.tenspeed.com and available at Barnes & Noble or Border's Books.

#10 ·
have been making a lot of chicken sausage the past few years, boneless, skinless thighs from Costco. Modified Chicken & Apple and used dried apricots, that is really good. Also used cranberries and in place of apple juice concentrate I use cranberry concentrate, really good with pancakes. But my favorite is Chicken Chorizo, I use it for taco's and burrito's in addition to cooking for breakfast. A countertop grinder is all you need, that and the spices. I buy bulk at Sprout's or Winco and refill my bottles, much cheaper that way.

G
#11 ·
First - tell your daughter I said hi. Years ago you posted a recipe making choriizo with javelina. I passed that on to a friend and he loved it, but lost the recipe. Can you post it again? You also said you used Makers Mark in you venison sausage, that my friend is a crime. Next time buy some cheap bourbon and use it - Markers Mark is for sipping.

#12 ·
the chorizo recipe is in the beginning of this post. And Makers Mark was the cheapest I had at the time, my motto is "life is too short to drink cheap booze and shoot ugly guns"

It's my youngest daughter Nicole that teaches the sausage class, I missed out on too many chasing fires so they got her to do it. Now I teach a Wilderness First Aid class in April and usually miss the Sep gig.

Now that Dani lives here in the valley we have got out hunting again. I look forward to hunting with her every year, she's a pretty good hunting partner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.