Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently got an older Remington 1100 12 gauge from my grandma. Right now it's got a fixed choke - improved modified - but I want to get a screw choke installed. I'm hoping to use it for turkey/upland/waterfowl. I know you can send it out to Briley etc and they will do it (although their cost is about the same as just buying a new barrel with the screw choke already installed), but I am hoping to find someone in the Phoenix area who does this. Anyone have any suggestions/experience?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If the chokes come with the new barrel get it. JM
I couldn't agree more. Don't go messing with that barrel, because you can do a lot with an IM. Dove, quail and most small game that will work. I'd recommend buying a steel proof barrel with screw in chokes that is chambered 3" for waterfowl and turkey ;) Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need different barrels for different length shells to eject properly with the 1100? Edit- the chamber has to say magnum for it to accept 3" too! If it is just a 2.75" chamber you could still use it for waterfowl with a premium non steel waterfowl shell. In that case, the LM barrel will probably work for most shooting situations.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with Buster - don't mess with that choke. Besides that, I believe chokes are overrated. You can get more variation from modern shells than you can from chokes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts