September's Wildlife Recipe - Duck

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by Chief, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief Guest

Not much of a duck hunter anymore. I lost my lab several years ago and could never bring myself to get another, coupled with the price of gas and the distance we have to travel down here in the desert I just kinda gave up on it. Plus I'm not that great on eating duck, nor is the wife. Have made this several times in years past and most liked it, but not all.

Ingredients:
    1 Sprig fresh rosemary
    1 Clove garlic, thinly sliced (or more)
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    4 duck breast, boned and fat removed

Sauce:
    1 lb chestnuts
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 1/2 cup milk
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 carrot finely chopped
    1 Bay leaf
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tablespoons cream - warmed

(Pour yourself a martini)

1. Pull all the leaves from the sprig of rosemary. Combine them with the garlic and oil in a shallow bowl. Pat the duck breast dry with paper towels. Brush the duck breast with the marinade. Allow to stand at least two hours before cooking, preferably longer.

(Take a sip of you martini)

2. Preheat the oven to 350. Cut a cross in the flat side of each chestnut. Place the chestnuts in a baking pan with the oil and shake until all the nuts are coated in oil. Bake for about 20 minutes, then peel.

(Take another sip of the matini)

3. Place the peeled chestnuts in a heavy saucepan with the milk, onion, carrot and bay leaf. Cook slowly for about 10-15 minutes or until the chestnuts are very tender. Season with salt and pepper and discard the bay leaf. Press the mixture through a strainer.

(Another pull on that martini would be appropriate at this time)

4. Return the sauce to the saucepan and gently heat it while the duck is cooking. Just before serving, stir in the cream, if the sauce is to thick, add a little more cream.

(Now is the time to finish that martini)

5. Broil the duck breat until medium rare, about 6-8 minutes maybe a tad longer. The meat should be pink when sliced. Slice into rounds and arrange on warm plates. Pour sauce over top and serve with garlic mashed potatoes and crunchy green beans.