Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm brand new to this so I really hope that I put it in the right place. I want to take my grandson to go shed hunting for the first time and I don't know where to find out if it's happening and where might be a good time to go. The weather up north has been a little colder the last few weeks and I could really use any guidance you can give me. Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,458 Posts
Welcome to AHF!

I think some bulls have dropped their antlers by now, but it may be a tad early.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to AHF!

I think some bulls have dropped their antlers by now, but it may be a tad early.
Thanks so much I was considering going around the end of March to April time frame.

·
Administrator
6,610 Posts
March generally marks the start of antler season in NAZ but every year is slightly different. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Welcome to AHF !!!! Still seeing bulls with horns, but a few may be off.

·
Super Moderator
2,584 Posts
Bulls like to live secluded in thick, steep, nasty stuff this time of year. Unit 6A near West Clear Creek (north or south side) should provide you some opportunity for deer or elk sheds. As others have suggested, it may still be a little early. I would suggest waiting a couple weeks or so.

Good luck, and welcome to AHF!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
South facing slopes, gets the most sun this time of year, elk, deer both use these slopes primarily. Rangers location he posted is a Dandy. Make sure to take your binocs, you can sometimes scan the ground and find them.

·
Administrator
6,458 Posts
People always say that fencelines are good places to look for sheds, the theory being that when the bulls/bucks jump the fence the antlers that are ready to drop are jarred loose. But I honestly cannot recall finding a single shed on a fenceline. Maybe everyone else picks the fencelines clean early on... :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People always say that fencelines are good places to look for sheds, the theory being that when the bulls/bucks jump the fence the antlers that are ready to drop are jarred loose. But I honestly cannot recall finding a single shed on a fenceline. Maybe everyone else picks the fencelines clean early on... :)
😆☺

·
Registered
11 Posts
I noticed the deer are just starting to drop. Saw four bucks yesterday, all antlered except one had half a rack, could have broke off from fighting but it looked like it shed at the base....

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
seen couple deer with on one side on, so its starting here.

·
Super Moderator
2,584 Posts
First of the year for me. Jumped a couple bulls yesterday without headgear.

shed 4.3.21.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts