Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I whacked a couple of Mojaves this week. Single shot to the head with 9mm "kills them", but I have about 15 minutes of crazy video that proves that snakes aren't as dead as they make out to be. Mine moved for more than 5 hours after I chopped its head off, and my friend skinned his about an hour after he chopped its head off and it was trying to strike him, it was coiling up, all kinds of strange things. Rattlesnakes are from the Devil!

If I have the chance I'll post some vids up.

Watch yourself out there! The one I killed was headed right for me in the darkness while I was about to take a piss - good thing I checked the area with the lights before I climbed off the quad.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Cool stuff Glenn. I got two this last weekend but they weren't too bad with the moving around. The big one kept trying to bite Andy without it's head but he quit moving pretty quick. I've had one movin hours after I shot it too. If you stick them in the shade they will stop moving then put them back in the sun or next to a fire and they start back up again. Definately the Devil's critter.

·
Super Moderator
2,846 Posts
My brother in law and I killed one in thier backyard not too long ago. My brother in law was holding the amputated head in a pair of tongs and I had the body so we could show it up close to my 6yr old nephew who found it while playing, and every time I rattled it's tail it's mouth would open and look like it was in strike mode.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Yep they are out and about. Seen one Blacktail one big western and 2 mojaves yesterday.. Oh and a bull snake that was touching both side of a two track as it crossed it. So probably 6+feet.. Biggest bull snake I have ever seen. And the blacktail was no slouch either, it was probably a little over 4'. Which is the biggest of those I have ever seen.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that chart - these look like they were Mojaves for sure. Oh and we were down near Willcox. While we were down there one of the ranchers we were with killed a bigger Mojave with a shovel, but he's killed so many he made it look easy.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I can't figure out if it's a good thing or a bad thing that i haven't come across any rattlers!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Didn’t want to start a new thread so found this one. What kind of rattler is this? Hiking South Mountain last night and had to use my home made hunting staff to encourage this dude to leave the trail. About 30”. What kind is it? Being in the shade makes it look real gray. I did not see it in the sun shine. I am not a snake guru. What kind is it? Had a great sounding rattle for sure
A9EFB485-3157-406B-86D4-7EF81799BFCD.jpeg

·
Administrator
6,498 Posts
Looks like a speckled rattlesnake.

·
Super Moderator
2,846 Posts
Looks like dinner .....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where are you guys at that you have all these snakes? I love all the creepy crawly things and I have never found a rattler yet? Granted I'm usually not out hiking/exploring early morning or evening time.

·
Administrator
6,498 Posts
Where are you guys at that you have all these snakes? I love all the creepy crawly things and I have never found a rattler yet? Granted I'm usually not out hiking/exploring early morning or evening time.
Those are the best times!

How long have you been in Arizona?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts