Arizona Hunting Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Thanks for your help folks. I thought about wacking this guy, I would love to have his skin on the back of my bow, but he just wasn’t long enough.

·
Administrator
6,498 Posts
Thanks for your help folks. I thought about wacking this guy, I would love to have his skin on the back of my bow, but he just wasn’t long enough.
Rick, if you need a rattlesnake skin to back a bow, I can keep an eye out. I may run across another one of these:

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I definitely don’t know, but it looks likely. I still bookmarked @Coues84 reference above!
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,846 Posts
Aww don’t kill em! But I have to say I’ve got a hunting hat I’d love to have a bright Mojave’s hat band for.
I believe you are allowed 4 per year, although Im sure many kill more than that and probably dont even eat them. Im only up to 2 in my career so I doubt my efforts will have much impact on their status as a species lol

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Aaaaaaaa, hey RK. You find another at 64” I be willing to take that from you. That would be very cool.
and yours looks great. What did you do with it? Displayed on a wall?
Bet it taste like chicken.
I know, very nice mild flavor.

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
View attachment 25450 View attachment 25450
Sometimes they just cross the road in front of you. I really never found a reason to kill a rattlesnake just because they were there. If they were a threat that was one thing but in most cases we are the threat, they are just protecting themselves much as we would do if threatened. Move off, and let them go by.

·
Administrator
6,498 Posts
Aaaaaaaa, hey RK. You find another at 64” I be willing to take that from you. That would be very cool.
and yours looks great. What did you do with it? Displayed on a wall?
Bet it taste like chicken.
I know, very nice mild flavor.
A friend in NM used it for this:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Found my first Arizona rattler yesterday on the lower Salt River. Probably around 40-45" long. Nice snake. I tried to stone him, but he got away...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Good afternoon to all-
Those are some interesting looking snakes.
In the time I was out there, I never saw a rattler of any kind. Gila monsters- yep, and lizards of all kinds, and a bull snake that impressed me- and I don't impress easily when it comes to things that crawl around on their bellies. I expect some rattlers saw me, but I never saw them.
Not too long ago back east here I heard about a feller's encounter with a particular eastern diamondback- these bad snakes get seriously big here on the gulf Coast. The feller was tent camped in a national park and when he went to exit his tent one morning, there was this real big, real upset rattler right outside the tent door. The feller managed to get out of the tent and kill the snake, and fool-fashion, he took it to the ranger station to report that snakes were in the campground and something needed to be done about it.
The fine for killing a protected species in a national park was in the thousands of dollars.
Now, I am a law-abiding sort- for the most part- but if I have to kill a serpent to go pee in the morning, well, that's just the way it is. but I sure as hell am not going to report to the authorities.
I got nothing much against snakes that aren't bothering me, but when I got to pee...best not to get in my way.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

21 - 34 of 34 Posts